Lithium batteries on cars/boats

jdc

Visit site
I'm on my 2nd electric car, the first one ( Zoe 40kwHr battery) having been exchanged after 3 years for a new one.
250 mile range seems enough and I'm never going back to petrol. Night rate charging, about £5 a charge at today's rate, used to be less of course but it's still much cheaper than fuel. In 3 years didn't notice battery degradation.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Sure there are advantages to EVs but please, don't perpetuate the lie that they are good for the planet.
As long as you don’t perpetuate the lie that ICE vehicles are better for the planet. The only thing that would be good for the planet is for us to quit the place. Let Musk export us all to the planet Zog, though that seems a little unfair to the little green men who live there. Basically, we have to change. Changing over to EVs is a help with the ‘climactically) short term problem of greenhouse gas emission and air pollution. Long term, humans need to stop moving about so much. But you can’t just wave a magic wand, it would lead to economic collapse. So we should each do what we can. Give up your ICE. Better yet, give up your car. Like you, I can’t contemplate that, so I bought an EV. It happens to be a great car to own and to drive.

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Sure there are advantages to EVs but please, don't perpetuate the lie that they are good for the planet.
Electric cars are first because they are the easiest...now we are beginning to see electric trucks...that will make a huge difference...also electric planes are just emerging...electric ships would be good also.
If ALL transport didn’t pollute WHILE IN USE that would be a massive plus for the planet...my car won’t save the planet...but by being part of the revolution, it just possibly maybe could

clyst

Visit site
Question ........ charging overnight whilst parked in your driveway is great but what if you have no off road parking ?

Bouba

Visit site
Question ........ charging overnight whilst parked in your driveway is great but what if you have no off road parking ?
Lots of ev owners don’t....they rely on public chargers...charging at work...laying extension cords across the pavement etc....obviously it’s much much easier to have an ev in a driveway. It really comes down to how much you want it

clyst

Visit site
Lots of ev owners don’t....they rely on public chargers...charging at work...laying extension cords across the pavement etc....obviously it’s much much easier to have an ev in a driveway. It really comes down to how much you want it
........... or how much the government insists on us all going only EV

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Where is this magic zero pollution electricity coming from please?
Oh please! We all know our energy is a mix of various sources, not all of them are carbon neutral, though that is the direction of travel. It’s absurd to use the remaining fossil fuel power stations as a stick to beat EVs with. They are in any case a much more efficient use of fossil fuel than your dinosaur powered ICE. But better still, the grid is around 75% low carbon, as long as there’s either wind or sun. Fair enough, if there’s none of either, then we have to burn some shite. EVs are still better for greenhouse gases, and no worse for other crap, minng, manufacture, disposal etc.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
........... or how much the government insists on us all going only EV
I doubt they’ll ever actually insist. It might get significantly more expensive as the infrastructure winds down, but most of us will be dead by then. It’s not something to lose sleep over. The transition needs to be gradual, or the charging network really would be a problem, which it mostly isn’t for the number of evs just now. Sure, a few fools ignore their sat navs and form a queue at the same charger from time to time. There’s one born every minute. I have a non tesla, and even my weak and futile electronics successfully tell me which chargers are free and route me to them.

geem

Visit site
Geem is clearly not too afraid to face an Atlantic storm, but is too nervous to drive 25 miles in an EV when there’s 50 left in the battery. Whereas I’m the opposite.
Haha, you misunderstand. I have privileged information from consultancy work on lithium batteries. Can't say too much. Just trying to give some advice from a perspective of a potential purchaser

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Haha, you misunderstand. I have privileged information from consultancy work on lithium batteries. Can't say too much. Just trying to give some advice from a perspective of a potential purchaser
I’m no stranger to them. Lithium is a quite generic term though, encompassing far too much variety of characteristics. Boats, cars and cell phones all have lithium batteries. As does my CO alarm on board. The only thing they all have in common is containing the 3rd element in the periodic table.

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
I've had an MG5 for nearly 2 years and 30k miles. No battery degradation.
Public charging occasionally has its issues, but you lurn and don't make the same mistakes twice.
90% of my charging is at 15p at kwh at home over night so £7.50 for about 190 miles.
Public charging these days is a tad cheaper than diesel, but not much.

We also have an MG4 on order to replace our 10 year old BMW 1 series. Then we will be all electric...

From the environmental prospective.
No noise pollution.
No local exhaust pollution.
Less break dust pollution.
Still running on the original rear tyres.
Front tyres replaced at 22k.
No old oil or filters to dispose of.

Most of the electricity comes from overnight off peak surplus that the grid needs a home for and a bit comes from my solar panels...

And finally, people comment about the environmental impact of lithium mining, but they forget about the impact of oil exploration, extraction, transportation, refining, storage, and distribution. Remember the Exon Valdiese, Amoco Cadiz, etc, etc...

EVs are not perfect, but they have a lot going for them. Embrace the future and go for it. You won't regret it....

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
I've had an MG5 for nearly 2 years and 30k miles. No battery degradation.
Public charging occasionally has its issues, but you lurn and don't make the same mistakes twice.
90% of my charging is at 15p at kwh at home over night so £7.50 for about 190 miles.
Public charging these days is a tad cheaper than diesel, but not much.

We also have an MG4 on order to replace our 10 year old BMW 1 series. Then we will be all electric...

From the environmental prospective.
No noise pollution.
No local exhaust pollution.
Less break dust pollution.
Still running on the original rear tyres.
Front tyres replaced at 22k.
No old oil or filters to dispose of.

Most of the electricity comes from overnight off peak surplus that the grid needs a home for and a bit comes from my solar panels...

And finally, people comment about the environmental impact of lithium mining, but they forget about the impact of oil exploration, extraction, transportation, refining, storage, and distribution. Remember the Exon Valdiese, Amoco Cadiz, etc, etc...

EVs are not perfect, but they have a lot going for them. Embrace the future and go for it. You won't regret it....
I will go lecky in the future. Right now my car has 40,000 miles on it. From an environmental perspective it is better to run this car into the ground rather than sell it for a lecky car now. My current car owes me nothing. Splashing the cash on electric to save a few quid doesn't stack up unless you need a new car. My last LPG powered car got sold at 164,000 miles. Cost less to run than any other fueled car unless you have spent several thousand on solar panels in which case the lpg cost way less. Just saying

Last edited:

pcatterall

Visit site
It is the electricity costs that concern me. I have solar and batteries at home and import lecky at 35p/kwh but only get paid 5p when I export it. the 'off peak' cost is only 10p which is great for the batteries. octopus plan a useful tariff with much better rates for power retained.
My worry is that there is no control over these tariffs. People considering solar need a bit of certainty for their financial planning.
part used car batteries can be effective in a domestic situation where weight and bulk are less critical. Boats?

tommy2

Visit site
They are moving to liquid cooled. It allows faster charge times on higher output chargers. It also means longer life.

Liquid cooled has been around for years. My MG ZS EV is liquid cooled that I purchased in 2019. The original Nissa leaf was not liquid cooled, but many modern EV are