List ONE item that is the absolute worst you ...

snowleopard

Visit site
making water

MTBF 4 hours. yes, average 4 hours between breakdowns. a shenker watermaker. some connection between making water and being pissed off!

Col

Visit site
Handbrake????

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

Jeremy_W

Visit site
Plastimo Deck Shoes. Their wellies are fine; their waterproofs are alright for the money; they really know how to make a compass; but their deck shoes fell apart in 750miles of offshore sailing which must be some sort of record.

G

Re:Sun awning ....

Bet the wife asked for that one !!!!

Thought about converting one of those garden Gazebo things out of Argos one time ..... also about altering a Garden Parasol after seeing the price of one adapted for a boat !!!!!

G

Re: Nightscope ....

I'll look into a Russian jobbie and see what is available ...

G

Reminds me of the piece of Wedding Cake from a friends marraige that I took home for my Mum .... left it in the car glove gox .... couldn't figure out what the 'glue' was that run down the inside of the dashboard etc. a few months later !!!!

G

Re: Betterware ...

I have a Golfers Umbrella holder from Betterware clamped to my pushpit rail .... makes an absolutely excellent rod holder ..... could make an excellent danbuoy / WHY holder ....price - 3.99

G

Re: Compass and stupid things ...

Leaving Langstone harbour - fog descends .... so steering out on compass ... alls well then boat stops dead in water ! Check GPS against chart .... I'm on the bank !! Not possible, steered due south channels wide ....., then I listened to VHF and thought - you bl---y idiot !!!!! The extension speaker was on the coachroof above the bulkhead compass ! Took the speaker away .... compass swung about 80 degress !!!!! QED !!

Johnjo

Visit site
Hand inflation pump for inflatable,The one which pumps on the up as well as the down stroke,bloody thing use to knacker me, Best thing about was that it broke after a couple of month's.
mike

VicS

Visit site
Seafix RDF. The only time I needed it (to find Chichester bar in dense fog) the beacon was off. That was back in '79 when there was a beacon there.

JeremyF

Visit site
Re: Compass and stupid things ...

That saved me. I was going to mount an extension VHF speaker just ahead of the compasson the wheel binnacle. I totally forgot about the magnet in it!

<font color=blue>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=blue>

Joe_Cole

Visit site
A solar heated shower.

Worked really well when we went on a flotilla in Greece, so we got one for our boat on the South Coast.

It's never been out of the box, we've never had any sun!

Joe

G

GPS

Worst item - GPS. It has tranformed sailing.

Years ago, a channel crossing was a real adventure. Even if the crew were retching below after the night passage, you planned your passage to make sure you arrived in the dawn twylight while the shore nav lights were still visible. A five degree steering bias made your landfall at best +/- 5 miles (most likely more) from your target so you made your approach matching the profile of the coastline to the photos and drawings in the Adlard Coles/Shell pilot. Standing off, hove to awaiting the dawn mist to lift.............. time on your hands....idyllic.

Today, there's little need to travel at night. The certainty of GPS positioning means you can leave the south coast a little before dawn and make the whole journey in daylight, certain to drive straight (allowing for tidal set) to your destination, arrival about 12-14 hours from the Needles - 10 if you are lucky - ashore for a good dinner. The mist is no longer a problem either - GPS will drive you straight down the track of a series of waypoints - Alderney in 50-100metres viz is a doddle.

We're now sailing to a schedule - one which we actually expect to meet! The magic, mystyque and tranquility of sailing are fast becoming - if they are not already - lost.