Links in signatures

G

I have always tried to avoid coming down too heavy on links in signatures, but recent events have drawn attention to the volume of people now using their signature to promote commercial interests, sell boats etc.

A blind eye has always been turned when there's a single link in the signature and the site being promoted offers a reciprocal link back to ybw.com. If you’ve got more than one link in your signature can you decide which one’s most important to you? If you are running a link to a commercial site please can you link back to ybw.com, or if you can’t link back, can you delete the link in your signature?

We spend a lot of time removing commercial stuff from the forums to try and keep them as a useful (marine) resource that isn’t full of cheap mobile phones, or spam and I thank you in advance for your help in this.

Of course, you may be of the opinion that ‘Big Brother’ has weighed in again and is telling you what you can and can’t write in your own posts. In which case I’m happy to discuss your point of view below, but I may resort to the “You agreed to rules when you signed up argument…”

Thanks,

Whitelighter

Visit site
Keith,

I have always found you and the other moderators to be fair and consistantly so. I think the recent posts went beyond the issue of links in signatures, and for whatever reason escalated out of control.

Thanks as always for you delicate and considered touch.

G

Good signature BTW, I feel obliged to offer a link back to Duncan on the ybw homepage now...

G

I find it hard to believe that your Myspace page is in your signature for commercial gain, so that's fine and dandy. Likewise Dogwatch's photo guide, or Brendan's Frappr map. It's the links to businesses which cause prob's.

Many of the companies listed offer valuable services to the marine industry and are of use to fellow forumites, so I don't want to remove them all. I'm just saying please limit it to one link and place a link on the site back to ybw.com.

G

Re: Links in signatures (buy lots of marine goodies)

I totally lakesailored myself by replying to the same joke further down the thread and missed yours. I must still be half asleep. Apologies for not getting to it sooner and guffaw on the amusing link!

Dipper

Visit site

I nearly lakesoilered myself by complaining that you had missed me out!

Channel Ribs

www.alderneymarine.com
I have removed the sailroom and added a return link to my business home page; I am very pleased to have the matter cleared up, good firm policy making - thats what we like. Can we vote for you in the next elections? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

On a related matter, does the thread have a view on the discount I used to offer fellow members? Some objections were expressed so I binned it, but I thought it was a good thing.

G

Why would someone complain about getting a discount? If you are happy to elevate ybw forum users above the regular boaty folk found on the internet I think it should be welcomed.

Very decent of you IMHO.

duncan

Visit site

ah but this is a thread about links in signatures - you will need to reply to Keith's next thread about links in posts..............

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DAKA

Visit site
I have tried to put a reciprocal link to YBW in my signature but I cant get it to work /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif