lining walls on a boat

smitch6

Visit site
Ok just thinking in advance as not ready for this yet in the resto project ............
I will be covering the walls with grey vinyl faux leatherette stuff.
I want it to be slightly spongy and did think about 1/2" foam but just been told by the supplier that if i have to join it the edges will show through the vinyl.

any ideas on whats best to do this with?
i'm going to need about 30mts of vinyl at 1.4 mth wide
so quite a bit.

I want to do ceiling, walls in the forward cabin (living area)
and the the sides of the after area ie where i steer etc which will be covered by the canopy.

they are all bare fibreglass at the minute.

So was thinking 6-9mm ply lined for the rear and the forward spraying glue to stick the foam then sticking vinyl on top of that.

hope that makes sense

nickd

Visit site
I think you will have a devil off a job sticking vinyl to foam. Normally one would get vinyl that was already backed with the foam bonded onto it. Having relined a boat I would say you would be in big danger of having flat patches where the glue will soak into the foam and stick the foam in a compressed fashion.
Do the ceiling in ply panels covered in foam and screwed up this makes them easy to do in the workshop and also gives you a re usable void for running cables. Hawke house (www.hawkehouse.co.uk)
will do neat press studs covered in matching vinyl to cover your screw heads.
At 1.4m wide I would be surprised if you would need any joins, but again Hawke House has some good how to's which describe various methods of overlap.
I would also look at the possibility of using automotive stretch lining fabric - http://www.harrisonstrimsupplies.co.uk/easyliner-van-lining-carpet-10-c.asp this is much easier to put up and gives an really cosy feel to walls

vas

Visit site
hi,

missed the thread when you originally posted it.
My 2eurocent worth of experience:

1.43m wide is a BIG problem at times, be careful!
wouldn't go near spray glue!
I'd go for 6mm ply panels (don't really need more unless you plan to use a 1X2m panel and hang it off the roof using 4 screws (which is plain silly...)
I'd also devise ways of having hidden sliding, twisting and holding etc the upholstered panels in place.
Yes, turn the leatherete around the edge and staple with ali or ss staples. Ali are WAY cheaper, bought loads of them from Leroy Merlin, maybe 20-30K staples used in my rebuilt :D
I'd go for a 4 to 5mm thick foam (and turn it around and staple it as well). Don't go thicker, wont work, will look crap.

Finally, think that you can install 50mm rockwool or other close cell insulation behind the panel helping with condensation issues (or heat down here...)

A few pics of the area to be upholstered would help.

Ah, get a GOOD QUALITY el. stapler.
Also, if you have bulkheads to be upholstered, make sure you also have a good quality manual stapler as the el. one will not be able to go closer than 15mm from the edge and that's too far off for clean corners and you have to start adding edging sections (ali, wood, plastic, foam) with all the subsequent issues (colour matching, glueing, etc) I made (with A LOT of work) excellent corners with completely hidden stapling using a 10X3mm wooden strip to "cover" the one side of the edge and staple under it (I have to find the right pics in order to explain...)

cheers

V.