Lightning protection

DanTribe

Visit site
How\'s this for service?

Following the damage caused by lightning I sent off the instruments to various manufacturers & got these responses:~
Simrad VHF, posted on Monday , returned Thursday fixed, no charge.
NASA Navtex & log posted 3.00pm Tuesday, got fax back 9.30am Wednesday with a report. They could fix Navtex for £65, but log is scrap and offered a new one at a discount.
This was OK'd and both instruments received back on Thursday am. Pretty good service.
I phoned Garmin 10 days after sending the GPS, yes they have received it, it's in the queue and will be looked at in about 3 weeks time.[probably]
Thats more like the service I expect!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ArthurWood

Visit site
Well, not this morning, as I was coming 50nm up the Gulf of Mex trying to beat thunderstorms. There wasn't another boat out there.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jfkal

Visit site
The name of the game is to provide a "preferred" path for the main strike. After having provided for this and lightning strikes the secondary effect is that the magnetic field associated with the strike will "create" voltage spikes (i.e. 50 - 100 V) in cabling more or less parallel to it (i.e. VHF antenna, wind transducer cable, mastheadlight cable). The purpose of those protectors is to eliminate ONLY that effect. There is a lot frustration amongst boatowner saying that "I got all my lighning protection up and my electronics are still gone". That's because many are not aware of the effect of EMP and do not provide protection for it.

<hr width=100% size=1>