Lifting centre board

3speed

Visit site
I have recently acquired a Cornish Crabber 24 which needs restoring. Unfortunately it does not have the lifting centre board wheels and pulleys. Any ideas where I may be able to get one or modify something? Picture attached is of what I need. Thanks in advance. Paul.

Attachments

• IMG_8141.jpeg
    IMG_8141.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29

ianc1200

Visit site
It might help in ordering things etc to use the correct term - this is a Cornish Crabber Mk1 (or Mk 2 with the GRP deck) not a Cornish Crabber 24. The CC 24 was a different shaped hull. There is a FB group, and a forum which whilst not very active, had lots of information built up over the years, but it's future might be in doubt as was run by CC themselves. Never seen anybody ask about the pulleys, it's the swivel bolt which gives a lot of problems.

DownWest

Visit site
Have a very similar system on the Kelt 6.20. 25mm tubular shaft that winds up the ss cable and a plastic pulley, like yours, for the rope. Gives about 8:1 advantage.
Bit of ingenuity with ply and ss plate would get you there.

3speed

Visit site
Thankyou for your reply.
It might help in ordering things etc to use the correct term - this is a Cornish Crabber Mk1 (or Mk 2 with the GRP deck) not a Cornish Crabber 24. The CC 24 was a different shaped hull. There is a FB group, and a forum which whilst not very active, had lots of information built up over the years, but it's future might be in doubt as was run by CC themselves. Never seen anybody ask about the pulleys, it's the swivel bolt which gives a lot of problems.
Thank you for the info.

3speed

Visit site
Have a very similar system on the Kelt 6.20. 25mm tubular shaft that winds up the ss cable and a plastic pulley, like yours, for the rope. Gives about 8:1 advantage.
Bit of ingenuity with ply and ss plate would get you there.
That is very useful to know. Thank you. I’m confident I can fabricate something that would work, I just need to find the a plastic wheel suitable. Boat jumbles here I come !

DownWest

Visit site
In your shoes, I would weld a bit of plate onto a length of tube with holes drilled to bolt a plywood pulley to. Two discs of ply with some smaller bits as spacers.
Couple of hours work and if you were a bit closer I could knock it up for you.
I have a soft spot for the Crabber, tried to buy the plans when the first one was built in ply. But of course they just sent me the info for the kit with the GRP hull.
DW

3speed

Visit site
In your shoes, I would weld a bit of plate onto a length of tube with holes drilled to bolt a plywood pulley to. Two discs of ply with some smaller bits as spacers.
Couple of hours work and if you were a bit closer I could knock it up for you.
I have a soft spot for the Crabber, tried to buy the plans when the first one was built in ply. But of course they just sent me the info for the kit with the GRP hull.
DW
Good idea. I’ll let you know how I get on. The keel is removed at the moment. I plan to refit it and temporarily wire it in the raised poison. Thank you for your input. Paul.

oldbloke

Visit site
In the days before decent ball bearing blocks many , or even most, dinghies used those holt allen winches for their kicking straps. I suspect they come up for sail on ebay fairly frequently.

ianc1200

Visit site
he keel is removed at the moment. I plan to refit it and temporarily wire it in the raised poison.

Any chance of a photo of the CB swivel bolt arrangement? Mine was replaced by the local yard in 2022 & I'm still not 100% sure it's correct. I believe originally there was a sleeve which the bolt went through, with flanges so the GRP casing wasn't pulled in.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Unfortunately the cheapest plastic to turn that from is RG1000 & a 70mm th piece would cost about £70-00 just for the supply of the plastic. So turning that would not be economical. . There is an alternative
Where are you?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Take the jockey wheel from a caravan & remove the tyre. If the middle of the rim is too tapered cut the soilid tyre with a jigsaw, or better still a bandsaw . This will leave the inner circle of the tyre with a flat outer surface. Spring that back into the wheel & glue it in to the "V" to give a flat bottom to the wheel.
Most plastic trailer wheels etc come with a variety of bush options. & you should be able to find some pipe to fit to change the diameter of the hole
With an inflatable tyre option you could leave the tyre in place & it would be easy to cut the tyre & leave the 2 sides of the tyre to form higher sides to the wheel to retain the rope. But I would suggest glueing it in place

Last edited: