Lifetime of hard solar panels

MADRIGAL

Visit site
How long can I expect a solar panel to function? Do they become less efficient over time? The one in question is a simple 30-Watt panel of the sort sold for use in caravans. It has been secured to hatch cover with Velcro and taken off every winter. Cheers.

William_H

Visit site
Your small p[anel is far more likely to be damaged by accident than to fail from old age. I have some old panels at home must be 25 years old. I havn't tested them for current supply ability but they appear to be OK. ol'will

Gsailor

Visit site
How long can I expect a solar panel to function? Do they become less efficient over time? The one in question is a simple 30-Watt panel of the sort sold for use in caravans. It has been secured to hatch cover with Velcro and taken off every winter. Cheers.
Have you noticed something that prompts you to ask this question?

Neeves

Visit site
Today's panels, referring to domestic or large scale solar farms, have a life expectancy of 30 years. Life expectancy and warranty are different things.

Jonathan

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
The panel fixed to my foredeck is as quoted to me by seller - fitted by owner before him ... approx 20yrs ago ..... I can believe it when looking at the controller ...

Its now showing cosmetic signs of age ..... its working - but I do not believe its delivering anything like its original value. Its one job that I shall be replacing ... relegating it to a lesser job on another boat.

0XZMGJyl.jpg

dovekie

Visit site
Agree with the consensus here. They last a long time undamaged. Anything flexible/curved will have plastic, UV seems to do for them eventually, and the cable entry can be a weak spot. But many will (like us) have had 20 years output from them and counting. I presume the solid ones will last longer, but have no boat experience of them. I think output drops a bit over time, certainly the warranties intimate that is the case.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Have you noticed something that prompts you to ask this question?
Not especially, but as days get shorter and cloudier, I want to make sure that I am getting the most out of limited hours of sunlight. I normally charge the battery once in the spring and the solar panel then maintains it all summer. The battery only powers nav lights and VHF.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Your small p[anel is far more likely to be damaged by accident than to fail from old age. I have some old panels at home must be 25 years old. I havn't tested them for current supply ability but they appear to be OK. ol'will
Right! I try to keep boat hooks and the mainsheet block away from it, and the skipper's elbow when starting the outboard motor.

Neeves

Visit site
Today's panels, referring to domestic or large scale solar farms, have a life expectancy of 30 years. Life expectancy and warranty are different things.

Jonathan

I've just been advised by a reasonably reputable solar panel manufacturer, in China, warranty is 12 years for rigid panels. The same manufacturer said that life expectancy should be 30 years.

Solar panels for domestic roof installation might need replacement at 20 years - we are constantly hounded by suppliers anxious we have panels over 20 years old.

Our German flexible panels did not last 10 years.

Product quality and technical improvements have occurred over the last 20 years for rigid panels (and maybe flexible panels).

Jonathan