Liferaft to meet ISO 9650-1 Recommendations please

katiestevetabor

Visit site
We need to buy a good quality, but not expensive, 4 man liferaft for blue water cruising, so ideally to meet ISO 9650-1. Could be canister or valise.
Should have convenient servicing options for worldwide travel.
What are your recommendations and best place to buy.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
I'm pretty sure the Ocean Safety Charter ISO liferafts are made in Italy by EV, which is fine, they're one of the biggest raft manufacturers in the world. For a similar price you can get Seago or Wetline ISO rafts, the latter probably made in China, but don't know about the Seago. Personally I would go for the EV/Ocean Safety, and make up a grab bag for the other things you'll need or want.

One question you have to ask yourself is whether you want self righting or not, as the EV model is not.

gianenrico

Visit site
A) I'm a proudly non-objective italian /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
B) I'm a happy EV ISO9650 raft owner: happy because I never had to test for real, happy because servicing is done promptly, quickly and effieciently (2 year intervals for italian law) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
C) Eurovinil is since many years, part of the BRITISH SURVITEC GROUP PLC. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

boatmike

Visit site
I recently researched this and bought a Seago Self righting ISO 9650-1 in container for £1025. Excellent quality manufactured in neoprene rubber. (many are PVC and will crack over time) While seago are known for their budget range their top of the range ones are IMHO better than most and excellent value. If you decide you dont need self righting they do a 4 man ISO 9650-1 for under £800

katiestevetabor

Visit site
Thanks. Apologies for double posting. I have spoken to liferaft experts at Cosalt and a liferaft service centre. This is what I interpret so far. The rafts complying to the ISO standard are expensive because of the large cost to the manufacturer to pass the many tests. A good quality offshore raft with an insulated floor, will be perfectly adequate for our needs, without the additional cost of an ISO approved version.
There have been issues with many makes of rafts. Seago was felt to be well manufactured (although I am told of the gas cyclinder falling out during a demo). The Plastimo raft has the thin inflatable membrane inside a zipped outer. There have been quality issues with this and it is expensive to repair.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
If you are going to buy one, assume you are going to use it. If you are going to use it, make sure you can board it.
You need a boarding ramp/tube/shelf otherwise your chance of being first in at least is slim. Try an RYA liferaft course;- it's sobering and that's in the pool!