Liferaft to meet ISO 9650-1 Recommendations please

katiestevetabor

Visit site
We need to buy a good quality, but not expensive, 4 man liferaft for blue water cruising, so ideally to meet ISO 9650-1. Could be canister or valise.
Should have convenient servicing options for worldwide travel.
What are your recommendations and best place to buy.

demonboy

www.youtube.com
Word to the wise, Tabor. Double/cross posting the same question goes against all forum ethics. I'd suggest sticking to your PBO forum post for this question.

sailorman

Visit site
a "Blue Water Cruiser" ought to know the answer /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Borden

Visit site
Three years ago we researched the market for a 4 man liferaft for blue water cruising, so I guess our needs were the same as yours.
Our research included attending a RYA sea survival training course which not only provided an insight into what makes for a good liferaft but also the opportunity to speak with those in the know.
In our opinion there are only two liferafts to consider for blue water crusing, those made by Ocean Safety and Viking. We bought a Viking. Servicing is widely available around the world as Viking have a large share of the commecial market.

For Bluewater cusing you need a raft that may have to maintain you for several days. There are cheaper ones which we might have considered if we were intending to cruise coastal waters.

Our raft was not cheap by any means but there again neither is my life or that of my wife!

charles_reed

Visit site
Are you really sure a Part I liferaft, for 24-hour use is what you want for "blue-water" cruising. A reviewer, after trying 6 wrote as follows:-

'After a day and a half with the six life rafts, it is clear that this is truly a case of caveat emptor, let the buyer beware. The case is undoubtedly made for the need for some manner of independent certification. Some of the so-called ISO rafts simply could not be considered to fully meet the standard, in my opinion, unless one viewed them with one eye closed and the other half shut. Some issues could be addressed easily, others were more fundamental. However, certification is only half the solution, because just as clearly, the vagueness of certain aspects of the ISO standard leaves a lot to be desired.

Now I don't know what you mean by "blue water", but the list manufacturers who are claiming theirs' meets the specification fills me with apprehension about the validity of the standard.

I'd stick to known, reputable manufacturers: - Avon/Zodiac, BfA, Beaufort et al.

They won't be cheap, £1000 for 4-man canister would be about the starting price.

katiestevetabor

Visit site
Thanks. Apologies for double posting. I have spoken to liferaft experts at Cosalt and a liferaft service centre. This is what I interpret so far. The rafts complying to the ISO standard are expensive because of the large cost to the manufacturer to pass the many tests. A good quality offshore raft with an insulated floor, will be perfectly adequate for our needs, without the additional cost of an ISO approved version.
There have been issues with many makes of rafts. Seago was felt to be well manufactured (although I am told of the gas cyclinder falling out during a demo). The Plastimo raft has the thin inflatable membrane inside a zipped outer. There have been quality issues with this and it is expensive to repair.

Borden

Visit site
Tabor
I can't understand why cost is such a major factor in your decision. This is a 'Life Raft' you are buying not a beach float!
Economise on things that you won't be relying on to save your life.
Colin

katiestevetabor

Visit site
Having spent many hours researching this, the output is reflective of a product that not many people actually use and from a sellers point of view is expensive, with a shortish shelf life. Hence, it was difficult to get objective input and people who were supposed to be giving 'technical advice' just tried to sell me what they had in stock. Input from manufacturers was not helpful, with the top end just citing their 'brand' as a reason to buy and lower end, just not answering specific questions. Having done the sea survival course, it would appear that more expensive/ISO liferafts do offer real benefits in term of quality, usage and servicing. The YM Jan edition review was useful, but not comprehensive, as several manufacturers did not wish to supply a liferaft for test. Hence it is disappointing, not to have gained any more information than that concluded by YM, which is to buy the most expensive liferaft that can be comfortably afforded. We bought an Avon Ocean ISO.