liferaft service: how much?

Flossdog

Visit site
Last year mine cost £146 from Mayday Marine, Portsmouth Nothing other than new torch cells, water sachets etc. needed. If you ask them they will let you watch them do it. Nice to know what your liferaft looks like before you need it!

Boatman

Visit site
Depends totally as to what sort of liferaft it is?

SOLAS, just coastal spec etc

The costs vary considerably as to does it have potable water and rations, flares etc aboard

Tranona

Visit site
How can one comment on such limited information? The circa £150 is about right if nothing needs repairing/replacing, so £400 either means lots of bits replaced or repairs required. Cosalt are a major player in this business so don't think their basic costs would be out of line with others.

jsl

Visit site
Well, I thought 'Go to the well-known people...' They charged a reasonable fee for a different liferaft a few years ago. If this raft needed major work, it must have been a dud when I bought it, since this is its first service. It's making me feel fairly gloomy on this sunny day.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
£400 is either a "please go away" quote or a "let's make today a bonus day" sum. Loot by any other name.

However, that's not considering transport to and from depot - which can add upto £100 to the actual work!

Go to Seaweather of Dartford Kent - they pick up at centres etc. They do my raft for £150-180 (actual check and replenishment only) tel 01322 275513

PWG

Flossdog

Visit site
I had a verbal quote from Cosalt at Milford Haven of £390 so thats why I went to Mayday Marine. This quote was the base servicing charge, supplies, repairs etc would be extra!

Richard10002

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So £400-odd from Cosalt is extortionate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this just a quote before you even deliver it to them? Or have they opened it up, found things wrong, and re-quoted?

I'm guessing the former, in which case it looks like they are relying on the brand to allow them to charge a premium.

My really old 8 man cost £86 in 2006, plus about £50 for bits. This was in Liverpool.

Tranona

Visit site
If you are going to accuse them of overcharging then you need to know what they are charging for - which it seems you don't so its all speculation.

chriscorr

Visit site
Interesting discussion... I'm fitting out at the moment and deciding between purchasing or renting a raft. Lets say a Plastimo 4 man raft costs £600 and servicing (3 years) is going to cost ~£200. Norwest will rent me a 4 man for £265 + VAT for the year, so over 3 years the cost is about equal but if renting I get a better (ISO) raft and annual service! So why buy?

maxi77

Visit site
By my reckoning buying new every 3 years costs on you figures £200 a year including VAT where as rentin costs £265 plus VAT about 50% more. As for the annual service do you really think they do the same as a 3 years service costing £200 every year when they only get £265 for rental.

FWB

N/A
Visit site
I have a Lifeguard Forties 4 man.
I let it go past it's service date so there was an extra £60 charge for testing the cylinder.
In all it was £298.49
Reading the invoice I see that £80 of that was for a new vacuum bag and repacking. The survey was £120, then other bits to make up the total.
I thought it was expensive but fair.

bluedragon

Visit site
I just got a price from Cosalt at Milford Haven today. £162+VAT for a Seago 4-man in valise. That's very different from the higher figures mentioned here?? Spoke with Paul and he said this included all the usual replacables, and it was then fine for another three years.