Liferaft advice please

escape

Visit site
I am currently looking to buy a new raft and from the adverts can see I can spend between £550 and £1250 for a 4 man valise dependant on the "quality" chosen.
We sail most of the time as a family of 3 (6yr old daughter) with occasional trips from N Wales to Ireland.
Boat is 37' and well eqipped including DCS vhf, linked to GPS,comprehensive grab bag, RORC flare pack etc.
I am tempted to go for a budget raft supplemented by good contents of grab bag as we only go "offshore" during summer months, and dont antisipate being more than say 80 mile from shelter for most of time.
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

Goldie

Visit site
Go and visit your local liferaft service agent and ask for a look around his workshop. We did the same recently and were appalled at the quality of some of the "budget" 'rafts. Service intervals are worth looking at too. Many claim 3 year intervals, but closer inspection often reveals either a 3 year first interval, followed by annual servicing, or a 3 year service interval plus an annual "inspection" to ensure the integrity of the seal. The more time in the workshop, the higher the running cost. My choice was the Viking 4-man, partially for the (commercial) quality, partially because of genuine 3 year service intervals and partially 'cos it's self-righting and has a neat system to assist entry. Lifeguard also quite impressed me. Good luck with the search - but time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted......

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Why not rent a Liferaft.. that way you can specify a higher spec one for the more challenging trips.

Incidentally renting a liferaft also means that the you are not responsible for for the servicing .. reducing your overheads.

In addition RORC spec has been updated.. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) the improvements are flourescent bottoms so that a capsized liferaft is easy to spot and improvements in the boarding equipment.

<hr width=100% size=1>

escape

Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion.
I have thought about renting a raft but think I am just as likely to need it on a coastal jaunt one weekend than on a crossing which would mean renting on an anual basis which isn't so cost effective.
Also they don't service after each rent so the chance the previous hirer damaged it is a concern.
Yes I hear they have changed the RORC standard which may be why non compliant rafts are being discounted.

<hr width=100% size=1>

aod

Visit site
Liferafts are like the National Health Service !

Nobody wants to pay for a quality service when they aren't ill, but when you need it you want the best.

I have rented and then later bought a Zodiac which I have never seen because my £1600 sits in a cannister.

If I had to buy again I would buy the cheapest possible, compliant liferaft and make up a grab bag.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
The viewport crieria has also changed, and a SART holder is required amongst others.

With a younger child I'd seriously consider whether an inflatable floor should be a requirement - smaller bodies cool very quickly - certainly from a racing perspective the waters rate as Northern and an inflatable floor is likely to be a requirement. Again in racing terms, an offshore passage of 80 miles puts you firmly into ORC Category 3+Liferaft territory - only the Fastnet, Santander and Bayona races have a higher rating in similar waters, so a look at the equipment required to meet such a standard would be a good starting point. Bear in mind that the standard is as much to 'protect' organising clubs, and you may be able to sensibly omit certain elements as being inappropriate for family cruising. Races will start with F6/8 forecast - but I know that I wouldnt go to sea with my family in the face of such a forecast. If you want the ORC Cat 3 spec it is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sailing.org/offshore/2003/SR2003Cat3Life.pdf>here</A> (it requires Acrobat to view it)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Try calling John Baker of Nationwide. He's done many a good deal to 'forumites' and his knowledge is extensive. 07885 631 066 or 01925 245 788.

<hr width=100% size=1>Piers du Pré
http://www.dupre.co.uk

Sybarite

Visit site
I think that the basic difference is that the cheaper ones are just a raft without the protective canopy.

If you founder because of extreme weather you would have to consider the exposure element.

In France the rule is that you can have a cheaper liferaft if your boat is limited to (the old) category 4 (or 3 - can't remember exactly which), ie not more than 20 (or 60) miles from shelter. Anything above requires the Category 2 with the canopy.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
For the price of a top raft, why not consider an EPIRB and a raft. That way if you do have to use the raft at least it won't be for too long before you get picked up.

<hr width=100% size=1>