Lifejackets on aircraft

RS123

Visit site
Does anybody have any experience of being allowed to carry self-inflating lifejackets on aircraft?

We are off to the Med in August and would like to take our own kit with us - particularly the one for Mr 10 year old!

The carrier (EasyJet) has given conflicting advice, and is totally unable to rule one way or the other. Thier best effort seems to be that it is up to the ground crew on the day!

Any comments?

<hr width=100% size=1>

salvex

Visit site
I recently bought some new ones in Miami and took them with me as carry-on luggage. I had contacted the airline beforehand (via e-mail) and they said 'thanks - just let the checkin staff know'. I actually forgot to do that but no-one who saw them, like security staff, made any fuss. I flew American Airlines and was really expecting a hard time but presumably, as they have them in the cabin for passenger use anyway, it's no big deal.

<hr width=100% size=1>

squidge

Visit site
Ive never had a problem as long as they are in the hold not hand luggage, its the same as taking your shaving foam etc.You may need to open your case to show customs that its not dodgy(they do look odd under the xray). /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

jamesjermain

Visit site
I have flown with one a few times now, always in teh hold. Until the last time (Ryanair out of Esbjerg, Denmark), no one has raised an eyebrow. At Esbjerg I was asked to identify the item and then there was no problem.

I am about to fly out to the Azores with TAP so hope this remains the case

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

claymore

Visit site
Whilst on this topic

I rcently flew with Ryanair from Blackpool to Stansted for £19:99p
Could anyone explain why we had to go through the lifejacket drill - is it that the pilots are such good shots that in the event of trouble they will crash land in one of the many private swimming pools that abound in the south?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

tcm

Visit site
Re: Whilst on this topic

Well actually, Mr clevergit, if there was to be a prob it would very likely be shortly after takeoff, and seeing as how the wind is generally SW that means a long turn over the sea, and everyone for themselves cos the donkeys on the beach have got short legs, and we can't turn back cos that is with the wind and crunch bang, broken legs and flames, see? So, shuttup as our valued passengers will shortly have the opportunity to complain about the price of a sandwich, the loos or summink else. Slap!

Ok, i confess, I recently graduated from the training course.

<hr width=100% size=1>

l'escargot

Visit site

I've heard that they don't carry a navigator. The captain hunts around looking for the Manchester Ship Canal and then follows it until he can find a motorway to follow.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TheBoatman

Visit site

In the event of a crash landing on land,,inflate the lifejacket and use it as a makeshift airbag<s>

<hr width=100% size=1>

tr7v8

Visit site
Surely the life jackets under the seat are auto inflating the same as the ones your carrying? Hence they can't stop you carrying them as hand luggage as their are loads all ready on the aircraft!

<hr width=100% size=1>Jim

Draco 2500

ccscott49

Visit site
Most don't like you carrying them in hand luggage, regulations is regulations, Guv, no compressed gas etc, etc, but in the hold fine. You can also take the little cylinder off and buy one when you get down there, or carry that in the hold. Anyway whats the problem putting it in the hold.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Under the seat

I suspect the ones under the seat are not autoinflating.

That's why the flying waitresses ask you 'to pull sharply down on the red toggle to inflate...in the event of a landing on water"

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

tcm

Visit site
Re: Under the seat

yes, the real purpose behind wearing yellow rubbish lifejackets is so they can see who is a pasenger and who isn't when it comes to hauling out the bodies.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dominic

Visit site
Re: Lifejackets on planes....

""....about as much use as a parachute on a boat.... ""

Sea Anchor.

(Shot yourself in the foot there !!!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Easyjet's handlers at Stanstead are getting more and more particular about what you carry in hand luggage; wouldn't allow the wife to carry some nail clippers in her handbag but allowed an electric planer in my hand luggage.

I think you'll have problems with the gas cylinders as they are an item specified as not permitted in hand luggage.

Your biggest problem with easyjet at the moment is punctuality...down to 61%! We have flown with them 26times in the last ten months and only one flight has arrived with 15mins of the scheduled time.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Under the seat

Same reason we call the survival suits on helis' out here body bags! keeps all the bits in one place.

<hr width=100% size=1>

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
This question has come up several times before:- Last time as I was sitting in our office at the time I pulled out the manuals and checked what our reulations are as a "European national airline".

I'm pretty certain it was...1 on the jacket and 1 spare allowed, and in carry on baggage.

The problem was that I was the only person in our office who was ever going to check this and when I asked around if anyone else had an opinion they all favoured not allowing any compressed gas to travel.

If it was as cargo it would have to be specially packed and notified as RNG (non flammable gas) before it could travel.

Personnaly if I was writing the book I would ban anything like that full stop..but it looks like we at least accept it.

Phone the airline ask them to check with their Dispatch/Traffic/Ops Office if they are in doubt, and the lads in dispatch should be able to give a definative answer.

Regds Nick

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtsite.co.uk/fairweather>http://www.yachtsite.co.uk/fairweather</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

Other threads that may be of interest