Lifejackets For Offshore Racing

MissFitz

Visit site
I bought a Spinlock Deckvest Pro (hammar) for offshore last season & have been very happy with it so far. Comfortable to wear, easy fastening, good crotch straps, excellent hood (in the right place) & nice pocket on the outside for PLB. You can also easily fit an AIS MOB1, although I'm guessing that would be true of most offshore models.

My only gripe would be that the built-in cutter (for slashing tethers) rusted almost immediately. Otherwise no complaints & AFAIK meets all Cat 2 requirements (details on p15 here http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/OSR2017mo130012017-[19869].pdf ).

They also come in different sizes, which is handy if you're small. Or large, I guess.

Last edited:

Keen_Ed

Visit site
Basically, a 150N inflatable life jacket/harness combo with crotch straps, light, sprayhood, spare gas cylinder (if unique).

Suggest you try on the Spinlock, Kru Sport and Crewsaver Ergofit and see which you prefer.

michael_w

Visit site
My gripe with my Deckvest is the lack of those little toggles so one can attach it to one's oilskin jacket. It's bad enough trying to get dressed when the boat is doing her best to stand on her head, without having to deal with an extra layer.