Life raft service in Greece.

Carmel2

Visit site
My nearest service station is Malta for an Ocean Safety LR, So that's going to cost quite a bit. Last time it was done a mate was driving back to the UK so cost was at a min, but he is not going to be around.

It might be cheaper to buy a new one, So can anyone advise on which make is widely or even sparsely serviced in Greece? What do the Greek flagged charter boats use?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Paul
CYS In Lefkas has an life raft dept , not far from the Marina . Maybe best to email them .
But I guess there other places near Athens

Oh yes for got , they also service them in the Marina ,

Last edited:

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
There's this company in Souda, Crete http://www.shipserv.com/supplier/pr...ype=category&id=63&port=&country=GR&spsrc=286 who might be able to help. Or there's Ionian Safety in Lefkas, website here http://www.ioniansafety.com/en/ are OK, just back from the marina. Prices OK, pictures of inflated raft under test etc....

Most service centres will do most makes of liferaft. There's a few makers that are a bit anal about letting folks work on their rafts unless they are official agents but your raft is well outside any warranty by now so I wouldn't worry too much about returning to an official servicing station if you can get a local one to do the work.

Last edited:

Two Drifters

Visit site
Nicos at Ionian Safty in Lefkas is a really good guy and does serviceing and also new life rafts. We have had serive and new from him and he is always reliable

charles_reed

Visit site
Life-raft servicing easily available in most places in Greece - however best to go direct to the servicers in either Athens, Thessaloniki or Kavala.
I use the one in Kavala who charges €80 for testing, plus costs of replacement packs and any repairs.
Liferaft servicers should be government certified (Greece has a larger marine industry than any other EC country) and I am sure many contributors have been charmed by local agents. To my knowledge there are no qualified service stations in the W Ionian and the cost of transporting the lump that is a life-raft does add considerably to costs of servicing.
Here are some Athens cos

hellasafety.yachting.gr/eng
www.poseidonms.com/services/liferafts/

Mine @ Kavala is at the other end of the country, so I'm not giving his contact details as being inaccessible.

PS A liferaft is pretty useless in the Med - in Carmel's position I'd leave servicing it until near to a proper centre.

PSS Costs are low, compared to the UK - my last service (2016) with an update on all SOLAS packs cost me €253.

Last edited:

drawp

I'm having a fustrating time trying to get a Crewsaver ISO Ocean liferaft serviced in Greece. Crewsaver (Survitec Group) in the UK were pretty useless. They didn't reply to emails and when I rang them, they put me through to a girl in their UK sales department. Not surprisingly she could not help me much and I eventually received an email from them saying that Marita Hellas AS in Athens were their agents. When I contacted Marita Hellas, they informed me that they were not authorised to service the Crewsaver ISO Ocean range. But they hoped that by September, they would have the required certification. We shall see!