Life raft, canister or bag?

petedg

Visit site
Although it may be stored in a locker I'm inclined to pay the extra for a life raft in a canister rather than a bag. Any thoughts, comments?

Bobc

Visit site
1./ Canister can get nicked (and you can't really padlock it).
2./ Unless you have a hydro release, there's no real benefit of a canister being on deck, as you still have to drag it to the side and chuck it in.
3./ Canisters can be a pain if in-front of the mast, and you can get genoa sheets caught around them.
4./ If you put it on a deck cradle, you are making more holes in the deck for water to leak through
5./ If you decide to change, remove it etc., later-on, you have holes in the deck.
6./ They are more expensive, once you've also bought the cradle and a hydro.

Save your money and go for a valise that can be kept dry and secure in the locker.

Rossynant

Visit site
2./ Unless you have a hydro release, there's no real benefit of a canister being on deck, as you still have to drag it to the side and chuck it in.
When you have a hydro release (was compulsory here) then you have to tie this whole stuff firmly down - so it won't release itself first time you get green water on deck.
To have any chance it's still there when needed... :p

Bobc

Visit site
When you have a hydro release (was compulsory here) then you have to tie this whole stuff firmly down - so it won't release itself first time you get green water on deck.
To have any chance it's still there when needed... :p

Yes, I'd forgotten about the "I think I'm sinking so I must inflate" syndrome. The other thing is that if it's on deck, it needs to be pretty securely tied-down because you really don't want it coming loose. We used to use webbing straps on our last boat, and when you wanted to take the raft off for service, you had to use a knife and cut the damn things off because the clamps had seized. Nothing but bloody trouble.

Current ones nestle quietly and securely in the lockers. Much better all round.

Doug_Stormforce

www.stormforce.biz
Yes, I'd forgotten about the "I think I'm sinking so I must inflate" syndrome. The other thing is that if it's on deck, it needs to be pretty securely tied-down because you really don't want it coming loose. We used to use webbing straps on our last boat, and when you wanted to take the raft off for service, you had to use a knife and cut the damn things off because the clamps had seized. Nothing but bloody trouble.

Current ones nestle quietly and securely in the lockers. Much better all round.

The HRU does not inflate the raft if you take a wave over the deck, it relies on pressure (depth) not moisture. If it did activate it would only severe the strap anyway it would not inflate the raft.

Rossynant

Visit site
Do not underestimate the pressure of a wave striking, especially with raft mounted at stern rack. Yup, this is not inflating them, there were some rafts floating around unopened to prove it ...

Uricanejack

Visit site
Well I bought a canister raft. Locker space is a problem.
have not yet figured out where to put it. Probabaly in a locker to start with. But I still have the option of securing on deck. I saw a picture of a stowed raft on pushpit. might work well for my boat.
You do not have to put a hydrostatic release on them. I believe most are set up for between 3 or 4 meter depth.
Its the secured painter and week link with inflates the raft.