??? Life Post Brexit Something For Insomniacs To Get Their Teeth Into❓

srm

Visit site
Graham376, my residence card is the new type plastic one, complete with fiscal, social security, and health service numbers. I applied in October and it came early November.

Agree with the comments above about officials having varying interpretations of the rules. All we can do is be polite and smile whatever they say.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
As for using a passport photocopy for ID, I used to do just, that but was reprimanded on two separate occasions by the police at road blocks who said they were not acceptable so I went back to carrying the passport. They didn't pursue the issue but left me in no doubt that I was not compliant. Like many things in Portugal it depends on the individual you are talking to, as to what and what isn't acceptable.

Crazy isn't it, there's no consistency. I've been pulled by police 3 times, once for offence and twice at standard road side checks and each time they've accepted UK driving license and photocopy passport as identity. I was asked on one of the occasions why I wasn't on Portuguese license but they accepted the excuse that I spent more time in UK than there. I don't let on I have residency.

nortada

Visit site
Crazy isn't it, there's no consistency. I've been pulled by police 3 times, once for offence and twice at standard road side checks and each time they've accepted UK driving license and photocopy passport as identity. I was asked on one of the occasions why I wasn't on Portuguese license but they accepted the excuse that I spent more time in UK than there. I don't let on I have residency.

Crazy lack of consistency - so Portugal, so true‼️

As I try to explain to new arrivals, NEVER apply British logic to situations in Portugal and never ask the question if you are unlikely to like the answer.

Rather do your research, arm yourself with powerful Portuguese allies and then seek out a friendly official or (better still) câmara but always have an avenue of escape. Finally, never standard reveal or argue - just agree, walk away and come back on another tack.

Over the past years, this forum has been invaluable for good information, advice and formulating a plan of attack so
Guy’s, thank you all so much for your advice and help.??

srm

Visit site
As I try to explain to new arrivals, NEVER apply British logic to situations in Portugal

Oh so true.

The look of horror on the faces of a lawyer and Remax agent when I told them that house sales in Scotland have to be completed in 30 days from acceptance of offer, or the offending party has to pay daily interest until completion - it took them 2 years 6 months from offer to completion. Fortunately my offer was subject to immediate entry for building work! More than a year latter and there are still irregularities in the registration of some of the land.

On a more positive note I only paid light dues in 2015, but engine tax every year as foreign boats in Praia Marina were audited by customs each spring. In 2019 Policia Maritima had 3 officers along with the two customs officers and wanted to know why I had not paid light dues. One of the officers filled in a report form with my boats details .

After a couple of weeks I decided to be pro-active and headed off to the port office armed with back insurance certificates to show my cover was for Azores waters only as local light dues are a lot less expensive. My aim was to pay 14 euro a year for the missing dues as opposed to the 70+ that another UK boat had been charged. I explained all this to a pleasant lady in the port office. She asked me to wait, went in to the Police office along the hall, then disapeared upstairs. As she came down she said "good news, they had a meeting and only require this year's dues". She then issued a certificate endorsed restricted coastal waters for 10 euros. ( My guess is that a lot of locals were in a similar situation so only chasing the current year was the line of least resistance).

greeny

Visit site
Looks like I am getting lucky in my old age.
I've been paying light dues here for at least the last 10yrs and have only ever paid circa 8 -10 euros ( less 10 yrs ago).
I'm SSR, but the boat was bought vat paid in France. I declared her as class 4 (coastal) for the purpose of calculating light dues, but they said because it had sailed here from France it was ocean going and should pay the full duty of 70 euro- ish.
I then produced the transport company documents and receipts for overland transport from Brittany to Algarve. They accepted my argument then and have never argued it since.
My boat previous to this one I had been paying in full.
"Cruising tax" is payable on vessels with engine size over 20 KW and mine is 16 kw so I dodge that as well.

greeny

Visit site
I have not heard of a "cruising tax" here in the Azores. Can someone enlighten me please.
Its not actually a cruising tax although its what some people are calling it. That's why I put quotes around it.
Its an annual tax that's paid on all vehicles, cars, motorbikes, buses, wagons and boats. Its a sliding scale dependant on several different criteria like road tax is in the UK.
I'm pretty sure that the actual name of it is Circulation Tax. There are several exemptions that apply, one is small motorbikes where the tax would be less than 10 euros. Another is boats with engines smaller than 20 kW (i'm fairly certain that is the cutoff point) As Boat engines increase in size, the tax increases. Also factored into the calculation are LOA and Beam along with other criteria. Basically yachts with small engines pay very little. Large power boats pay a lot more. Another reason why the Portuguese like sailing/owning foreign registered vessels if they can get away with it.
Its a tax that has not been applied en mass to foreign registered vessels but on occasion there has been a flurry of activity by local finance offices to try and collect it. It does not become payable until the vessel has been in the country for 6 months and we used to dodge it by taking a trip down to Spain and back to reset the clock. Don't know if that dodge would still be acceptable to the finance office now though. I've no doubt some of the other long - termers here in Portugal can fill you in on the current situation

Last edited:

srm

Visit site
Thanks Greeny, I'm familiar with Imposto Único de Circulação - circulation tax as Alfandega - customs carry out an audit of all forign boats in Praia Marina each spring. Just had not heard it refered to as a cruising tax before. I also have to pay it for my car.