Life jacket cylinders on Aircraft

Pete R

Visit site
There are various threads on this but thought it might be useful to start a thread on which airlines will or will not accept the cariage of co 2 cylinders for life jackets.

The CAA say that it is OK to carry them, including spares but only with the airlines permission.

At the moment Monarch have confirmed to me it is OK and I have found a facebook page that says Quantas are fine.

I am currently in discussion with Easy Jet who DO NOT accept them.

If anyone else has had confirmation either way then please post.

I know many people including myself would just put them in the hold luggage and hope nothing is said but it would be nice to know each airlines policy.

NPMR

Visit site
It is not just the airlines you have to worry about.

We found out the hard way (i.e.expensive way) that even though the airline (in this case Flybe) were willing to accept the lifejacket, the baggage handling/ticket desk point refused to let it through.

Despite pointing out that every seat in the aircraft had one of these things underneath it!

atlanticstride

Visit site
There are various threads on this but thought it might be useful to start a thread on which airlines will or will not accept the cariage of co 2 cylinders for life jackets.

The CAA say that it is OK to carry them, including spares but only with the airlines permission.

At the moment Monarch have confirmed to me it is OK and I have found a facebook page that says Quantas are fine.

If anyone else has had confirmation either way then please post.

I know many people including myself would just put them in the hold luggage and hope nothing is said but it would be nice to know each airlines policy.
The carriage of life jackets with CO2 inflation cylinders is of particular relevance for delivery crew who must supply their own equipment, often starting their delivery in foreign ports to which they must first fly by commercial carrier.
CREWSAVER have a helpful website page [http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/Crewsaver/Crewsaver_Leisure_Products/index.html?catid=80] but point out that the individual carriers must be approached for permission in advance of a flight which is often difficult since the operator one contacts may not have a clue about the relevant regulations, either of the CAA or of their own airline.

This is an issue that the CAA should rule on insisting that airlines should accept CO2 inflation cannisters provided they are uninstalled from the life jacket and are carried as hold baggage. The RYA would be a good starting point to start this dialogue with the CAA.

Whiskey Bravo

Visit site
Airlines which I've taken lifejackets + cylinders include:
British Airways, Royal Singapore Airlines, BMI Baby, Thompson and others which I can't remember but flying to Turkey, Croatia, Greece etc.
Have never enquired before flight, the only time we had any problem was in Antigua when the X ray machine had broken down and they brought in additional staff to hand search. Ist bag passd ok, 2nd bag with identical lj /cylinder queried but passed when referred to supervisor.

The main thing is to unscrew the cylinder to ensure no accidental inflation can take place. I always do this but then leave the cylinder inside its pocket in the lj. Place in hold luggage, no problem.

Tranona

Visit site

Not my experience. Phone call and a reference to the (obscure) section on their website

Shipped the LJs out by TNT parcels - which do not take cylinders and cylinders as hand baggage as advised by Easyjet.

BTW they won't take cremated ashes without the certificate from the crematorium.

dt4134

Visit site
The main thing is to unscrew the cylinder to ensure no accidental inflation can take place. I always do this but then leave the cylinder inside its pocket in the lj. Place in hold luggage, no problem.

Interestingly, whilst chatting to the security guy's supervisor at Heathrow after having been stopped and whilst we were both waiting for the airline to confirm a 60g cylinder in a 275N LJ was ok, he said the most important thing was that the cylinder was screwed into the lifejacket. The biggest risk, he reckoned, was the loose cylinder leaking, accelerating and puncturing the skin of the aircraft.

The airlines all say keep it in hand luggage, but I know people who've got away with transporting LJs in the hold. Not sure what additional checks have been added recently though.

prv

Visit site
We used to take diving kit on holiday, including our good old "Buddy" stab-jackets which, as the divers here will know, each carry a 400ml mini-cylinder for independent inflation in case the main tank is empty. We did get stopped once in Turkey and have to open one of the kitbags to show what it was - apparently on X-ray the shape of these bottles looks an awful lot like a mortar round!

Pete

MASH

N/A
Visit site

The first quote is correct.

The second is BUNKUM

Easyjet allow each passenger to carry two such small cylinders fitted into a lifejacket, plus two spares per person.You may carry these in hand baggage, in checked in baggage, or on your person but the "approval of the operator is required" - ie tell them in advance. Good luck trying to get them past security though. You may not, checked baggage may be the only way.

The quote above says that two must be fitted into a life jacket. That is "two" fitted "INTO" "a" life jacket. Interpret that as you wish, but you'd not unreasonably say that could be two life jackets with one cylinder each. Two more may be loose. Per passenger.

Clearly airlines do NOT "all say keep it in your hand luggage". Let's stick to facts, shall we?

Whoever you've been speaking to at EJ needs a kick in the fundament.
I'd be VERY surprised if ANY airline doesn't allow these to be carried.

Bear in mind that the goons in "security" have nothing whatsoever to do with decisions over carriage of goods as such. Their mandate is to save us from terrorists by removing certain specified items such as explosive toothpaste and pointed yoghurt from our bags. They cannot possibly know - they are not trained- whether an airline allows carriage of a gas cylinder and have no jurisdiction in that area. They may remove it if they think it can be used as a weapon but would need to justify it, but not for any general "safety" reasons, and certainly can't say whether it must be screwed, unscrewed or packed in feathers though they may well try.

As a postscript, I see that the EJ website is very ambiguous on carriage of gas cylinders, as well as several other items.
The list of what can and can't be carried is on eayjet.com - company information(botton of the page) - customer service - FAQs - baggage - what may I carry on board. Well hidden, but it's there and bloody misleading too.
It does say carriage of gas cylinders isn't allowed, nonsense. Ditto firearms, they can. And in 25 years in aviation I've never seen wedding cakes listed as dangerous goods or forbidden items. The way through is to use that phone number given, that list is bizarre, and wrong.

Last edited:

Alyssa

Visit site
Easyjet - lifejacket cylinders

A message I posted on this Forum in July 2010........

This issue is not specifically addressed on their web-site (although it is on Ryanair's), so I e-mailed Easyjet (easyjet@mailnj.custhelp.com) yesterday with a query re the above. Got a reply within just a few hours........

"Thank you for contacting us.

I would like to inform you that non-flammable gas cylinder fitted into a life jacket containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2, up to two (2) small cylinders per passenger,and up to two (2) spare cartridges are allowed to be carried in the hold luggage.

I do hope I have been able to answer your question fully. To update your query please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further."

I have suggested that this Q and A be added to the FAQs on their web-site.

Although it took me a while to find the above e-mail address (!) I was quite impressed with the speed and clarity of their response.

stephenh

Visit site
International Air Transport Association ( IATA )
Dangerous Goods Regulations

“ Goods acceptable with operators approval as baggage :

Non flammable gas cylinders fitted into a lifejacket

Not more than two small cylinders per person, containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2, fitted into a self inflating lifejacket for inflation purposes plus not more than two spare cartridges. “

( IATA Dangerous Goods regulations - 45th edition Sect. 2, Para 2.3.4.2 )

Any use ?

I have this printed out in a notebook and it has been very useful on many an occasion !

Pete R

Visit site
Thanks to all of you that replied to the original post and read it properly.

The CAA and IATA have guidlines which states a cannister can be taken as hand luggage, hold baggage or on person as long as the airline agrees. (page 4 of the below link)
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1219/srg_dgo_WhatCanICarry20100416.pdf

But these are not always taken up by the airlines.

The idea was to get a list of airlines that do accept cannisters and have the proof available either on their web site or in emails that can be printed off and taken with you to the airport.

I have Monarch and Quantas. Any others?

Pete R

Visit site
The Monarch reply.
Hello Dear Sir.

Regarding the email sent by yourself on 29/12/08, requiring information about the correct procedure to carry Co2 canisters for self inflating life jackets, please see bellow the information gathered from Monarch safety procedures/ manual.

.... no more than two small cylinders of carbon dioxide or another suitable gas per person fitted into a self-inflating life-jacket for inflation purposes, plus no more than two spare cartridges.

I hope you could find this information useful but in case of any other query please feel free to contact us once again.

question : I work within the sailing industry and am making enquiries into your policy of the carriage of CO2 canisters for self inflating life jackets.

The canister is quite small and is normally of the size of 33g or 60g. I would imagine they are the same as the canisters used on board your aircraft for life jackets.

Kind regards

Heverstom Santos

Reservations Lead Agent

Monarch Airlines

+44 (0) 8700 405040

www.monarch.co.uk

Pete R

Visit site
And the latest just received from Easy jet. Who now say they will update their web site.

15th February 2011

Dear Mr Pete
Thank you for your response.

I checked your records once again and discuss your point with my supervisor and finally I found the same procedures as in Monarch airlines, please see below the information gathered from easyJet safety handling manual.

"Non-flammable gas cylinder fitted into a life jacket containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas, up to two small cylinders per passenger, and up to two spare cartridges"

I hope you will find this information useful. To update your query please reply to this e-mail. I will be happy to assist you further.

Yours sincerely,

-Ewa Proniewicz-
Customer Service Representative

Pete R

Visit site
The carriage of life jackets with CO2 inflation cylinders is of particular relevance for delivery crew who must supply their own equipment, often starting their delivery in foreign ports to which they must first fly by commercial carrier.
CREWSAVER have a helpful website page [http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/Crewsaver/Crewsaver_Leisure_Products/index.html?catid=80] but point out that the individual carriers must be approached for permission in advance of a flight which is often difficult since the operator one contacts may not have a clue about the relevant regulations, either of the CAA or of their own airline.

This is an issue that the CAA should rule on insisting that airlines should accept CO2 inflation cannisters provided they are uninstalled from the life jacket and are carried as hold baggage. The RYA would be a good starting point to start this dialogue with the CAA.

The RYA have already addressed this issue and say exactly as the OP

http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/boatingabroad/Pages/flying.aspx