Lidl Parkside drill bits

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
In 1982, at an Earles Court Boatshow I was I/C the Lucas Marine stand. I purchased stuff for the retail part of the stand I knew to be good for selling to fellow boaters.

One item were sets of Chinese HSS Drill Bits, in imperial sized. 24 in a folding box. They were very cheap, but far from cheap and nasty.

I am still using some I bought through the staff purchase discount, more than 40 years later, in my home workshop. Mostly on the lathe for threading Imperial holes or for Imperial helicoils.

I do have the advantage that I can sharpen drill bits by eye.

Several of the more popular sized are quite short now............................

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Reassuring to know; I haven't used them yet, but our local Lidl was doing a special offer on those at only £4.99 last week, then with a 10% monthly discount I'll have got another fifty pence of them too; I didn't actually need them, but at that price...

...still using some I bought through the staff purchase discount, more than 40 years later... I do have the advantage that I can sharpen drill bits by eye.
That's a gift worth having! We have a good friend who I take my box of drill-bits to once a year to have them all re-sharpened, they get returned in neat little bags indicating what angle they're cut to, though they soon get mixed up again and I can never remember which angle's for which material anyway.

Plum

Visit site
You may be surprised but these are brilliant! £7.99 for a set of fifteen. Needed to drill some 2mm stainless. Started with a 3mm pilot then straight in with an 8mm. Both went straight through without any lube' pulling off curls of swarf. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least!
Thanks, just looked at their website and can't see the drills listed......

B27

Visit site
'Stainless' varies a lot.
Sometimes any half decent HSS drill is fine.
Sometimes you'll find that where you want to drill a hole, it's work-hardened and laughs at you.

Time to anneal it, or get carbide drills!

VicS

Visit site
Thanks, just looked at their website and can't see the drills listed......
Things like those are usually "Middle of Lidl" specials. Keep the minces peeled to spot them next time round. ( or sign up for the newsletters)

PCUK

Visit site
'Stainless' varies a lot.
Sometimes any half decent HSS drill is fine.
Sometimes you'll find that where you want to drill a hole, it's work-hardened and laughs at you.

Time to anneal it, or get carbide drills!
I drill 304 and 316 stainless on a day to day basis and have never annealed any and it is usually polished anyway. Constantly resharpening but a good drill bit is essential to start with.