Licensing

rr_123

Visit site
Anyone know if i have to licence my tender seperately (at the proposed exhorbitant rates) even though the total license area for the boat covers the davits/dinghy?

Chris_d

Visit site
I don't think you have to include davit overhangs etc.. in your licensable area, its done on the hull area alone, unlike the money grabbing marinas.

TrueBlue

Visit site
There was some discussion on this topic a while ag - probably before the Thames Forum was started.

The perceived wisdom was that if the dinghy was just hanging on its davits or on deck and never put on EA's waters then you didn't need to license it, on the other hand if you do use it in the river then a fee is payable.

It's up to you whether you purchase a license for the days that you actually use it or swallow the pill and pay for the full year.

A similar series of considerations apply if you're going to have an engine on it (or not)

Chris_d

Visit site
I'm sure that is the case Trueblue, when I've towed the dinghy into a lock i've been aked for the license, but was told if on the mother boat out of the water it was ok. Afterall if carried on your boat its just another piece of kit isn't it.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Yes, you are supposed to licence the tender, if it is in the water. In practice it seems thta if you don't go through a lock you are unlilkely to get checked. I've taken the tender through Sunbury lock, as the sole user of the lock, each year, to make the point that the licence is futile and just revenue harvesting. I am a firm beleiver that any tender, registered as such on the mother vessel licence, and marked as smae on the tender, should be included on the main ticket, or at a nominal tenner. The minimum charge is an incentive not to bother with registration at all, almost sixty sheets for a bit of convenience or a toy. Nah...

Brayman

Visit site
I'm with Andrew regarding a proper tender being included in the main vessel license. I really do think the EA have missed a trick on this one, how much is good customer relations worth? More than £60+ per boater I'm sure!

byron

RIP
Visit site
I wonder ??? If a Tender is re-described and called your Life Boat does it need licensing? I believe safety equipment is free of certain taxes. Evince a Verey Pistol. Far better than flares, more reliable, easier to use in any conditions and whilst you DO need a Firearm Certificate to have one said license is issued FREE OF CHARGE by the Old Bill.

jcmmarine

Visit site
I was once asked by a lock keeper to see the licence for the tender on my davits.
I told him that, if ever I was sinking on the Thames I would certainly apply for a licence before launching and abandoning to my tender.