Licence to sail

jac

Visit site
Re: room for compromise?

Reading this through I have to say I come down oppossed to compulsory licenses mainly on the grounds of practicality.

How do you know if a skipper has this license? - Get a marine policeman to check and enforce the law.
Unfortunately HMs / MCA etc too stretched so will never be checked.
If never checked - will be evaded.
If it can be funded and checked then why not just use them to police existing IRPCS and Byelaws which cover most situations

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Re: Vive la France!

<<licensing only serves to collect money to pay for the collection of the license fee.>> exactly. Just like the radio licence. What's that about? Why don't they licence lifejackets and liferafts at £20 a go while they're at it?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Eudorajab

Visit site
Too much knowledge is way too dangerous. As you say .. look at all the car accidents. In some of the countries you mention where driving licences are bought rather than tests taken, the actual death and accident rate is a lot less. Look at all the licenced "plonkers" (as you put it) on the road! A driving licence or any licence for that matter is not going to change that. Likewise making people sit tests before they head out to sea will have much the same effect.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
let\'s have some facts

what countries can you quote that don't have driving tests and have lower accident rates than britain?

and let's have some statistics to back it up please.

i have driven in some of these places and you take your life in your hands.

i'm willing to bet the only place it applies to is antarctica.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Eudorajab

Visit site
Re: let\'s have some facts

If you took the time to read my response you would see that I mentioned "bought". This happens all over eastern europe and is common knowledge. As for statistics to back it up .... sorry mate ... I have much better things to do with my time

<hr width=100% size=1>