LIBS first day

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
In my experience the Excell parking is very expensive. In previous years we've parked in a multi-storey on the road leading up to Excell.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...m2!3m1!1s0x47d8a80ce609e50d:0xa0de5f705d7aec7

Assuming that link works correctly, if you drive along the road at the bottom past the Crown Plaza hotel (i.e. leaving it on your left heading towards the exhibition centre) there's a car park (entrance road also on your left just past that hotel) that we've always had no problem parking in and has always been far cheaper than the Excell parking.

HTH

Paul

PS Planning on going Friday 16th.

Thanks for the heads up, what is the price to park at Excel?? I've got free tickets so if I'm just hit for parking (assuming it's not stupid money) it'll still be an in expensive day out.

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
As far as I can see from their web site it's £15 for up to 24 hours. IIRC that's actually a flat rate not a maximum.

Yes £15, I've just had a look. I've just googled NCP's in the area and they show around £10 for a Sunday. I think we'll still park on site and save swmbo and little ones moaning, plus less distance to drag my spoils back to the car :)

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Going to a real boat show this year Dusseldorf

They are both real boat shows....one is just bigger and colder and has more potato cutters and cheap naff polish as well as sunbeds, diving, fishing, windsurfing, you know all the stuff that you all moan about at LBS, the Germans do it 10 times more though...

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
Ha! I wondered about that

Nice to see you briefly yesterday. That was an excellent tip on the car show. Frankly I reckon that alone is worth the trip

For others - once you leave the boat show hall. It's all in the South Hall with entrance in the middle. You get a wrist band for re-entry at the exits/ entry by wrist band only doors at either end. anyway a flash of this gets you into the cruise ship area and also admits to the adjacent classic car hall both of which are in the devided North Hall

It was quiet yesterday but very enjoyable . Got a bit annoyed going to the 4d area only for it to be closed on each of the five attempted entries. The close it if Sunseeker nearby are having a 'do'.

gjgm

Visit site
Ha! I wondered about that

Nice to see you briefly yesterday. That was an excellent tip on the car show. Frankly I reckon that alone is worth the trip

For others - once you leave the boat show hall. It's all in the South Hall with entrance in the middle. You get a wrist band for re-entry at the exits/ entry by wrist band only doors at either end. anyway a flash of this gets you into the cruise ship area and also admits to the adjacent classic car hall both of which are in the devided North Hall

It was quiet yesterday but very enjoyable . Got a bit annoyed going to the 4d area only for it to be closed on each of the five attempted entries. The close it if Sunseeker nearby are having a 'do'.
Actually, a flash of the boat show wrist band did not get me into the car show.. I was told it entitled me to a reduced entrance cost!

z1ppy

Visit site
Looking to go next weekend and after a new handheld VHF (specific standard horizon one) and some musto boots. Am I best buying online or are any stands doing any decent reductions?

aquapower

Visit site
You just get fleeced!

I paid £15 today, yesterday I left it at hotel for £10, by the time you have paid for taxi/DLR its cheaper to pay the £15
Everything there costs but still had good 2 days, could have done with longer so may go back next weekend.

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
Went yesterday with the family and we are first time visitors to Excel.

For us, getting to and from Excel in the car was very easy, the place itself is just a small NEC so no issues with the ambiance, it is what it is. I thought it was light on the numbers of boats. If it wasn't for our big 3, it would have been empty. I was also surprised about how few yachts were on show.

There was more clothing and accessories on show than I thought would be but also no real discounts. Bought a bit but not as much as I had hoped or planned.

Kids loved the watersport bit and did both zorbing and kayaking, well done to the company putting that on. 4D experience was poor, don't waste your time queuing.

All in all a nice day out to be had on a January Sunday. We saw our next boat to be saving for, so grateful for that but I can't see us going next year. If I'm down in london for work when it's on, I'll stick my head in for a few hours but wouldn't do it as a day out with the family again.

IMHO :)

crazy4557

Visit site
Went yesterday too and great atmosphere with Cruise Show, Classic car show and Boat Show all within a few steps of each other.
Aisles were busy and there seemed to be more of an upbeat feel but as previous posters have noted, few yachts, choice of Mobo's very limited. Usual queues for Sunseeker, Princess open to all with welcoming staff but Fairline had a queue as you had to register so didn't bother with them.
No discounts to speak of and have tried to support the show for last few years but won't bother again, not worth the long drive.
OTOH the classic car show was very interesting with a great concept of watching owners driving some fab cars like Muira, 959,Stratos and the like up a central roadway with roundabouts each end complete with commentary. Really added to the experience and of course there were some interesting displays from owners clubs, dealers and a couple of manufacturers like Citroen with modern cars ffs!!! Didn't quite see why they were there.
Cost £10.00 to upgrade your boat show ticket and by far a more interesting concept especially as this is their first attempt.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
we went on saturday and haven't been for about 3 years. Wasn't expecting much as the last time we went, we were in and out within 2 hours, but this time we both had a good day out. Was there for just over 4 hours in the end. We noticed that there seemed to be a lot more boats around the 25ft - 34ft size, which is great for us, as that would be the size we would move up to next.

Highlight of the show for me was the English Harbour 27 - a stunning looking little boat that is going on the wish list.

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
I'll be visiting the show Wednesday if any one is there and wants to talk about bearings or rope cutters, send a message and we can meet for a beer or coffee.

Garold

Visit site
We visited on Sunday.

The London show feels different from the other shows.

There's less boats so no pressure to speed through the show to get round it all. At Southampton, I'm always concerned that I may not have time to get round all the stands, or that I may miss something interesting.

At London it's just a nice casual stroll, with interesting things to look at, chatting to sales people, who have more spare time than usual. And a few leisurely cups of coffee.

And when you bump into someone you know, you can have a relaxed chat.

We had a nice day out.

We didn't buy anything, but certainly identified a couple of potential 'next boats/brands'.

Garold

www.hydraulicpartsdirect.co.uk
we were there on Saturday and , having never been before , really enjoyed it. The main "features" which were on the event website were pretty rubbish though tbh. The walk through the rain thing and the 4d experience were pretty poor and the watersport pool was a little bigger than a jazuzzi but otherwise a good selection of boats of all sizes and some good smaller stands too. Nice to see Sunseeker and Princess putting as much effort into their stands , pretty impressive. The show visit made me realize how I bought the right boat and dont see me changing anytime soon.

We went to the car show yesterday and it too was pretty good but they also made main features out of nothing ie James Mays area was poor and the VIP area wasnt up to much , glad I didnt fork out for that . Otherwise really enjoyable and some nice cars but how they managed to get the health and safety paperwork to blast an F1 car up and down inside the building with the spectators as close , I will never know. It was a worry !

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
We were there yesterday, I felt that there was a good selection of smaller boats including some small powerboats at entry level prices. If you were a current owner and looking for something "mid range" then there was little to see beyond the Bayliner Ciera and Regal 28.

As you say, some of the features (4D experience - didn't understand that at all) were worthless.

It was fine for a day out.