Lewmar electric winch motor repair

davethedog

Visit site
Hello all,

Had in issue when using the port electric sheet winch and found a badly corroded connection that was causing the rubber cable cover to melt. Went to undo the connection and the threaded connection just snapped. Now I know I can buy a replacement motor for about £400 but can this be repaired? Currently in Horta (Azores) and heading back to the Solent area in a few weeks so can wait until then.

Cheers, DTDIMG_20240522_114905.jpg

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Anyone who does motor repairs, possibly auto starters, should be able to fit a new terminal post. I'd change both and have a close look at the other winch motor too. Get a good coat of grease on the terminals.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Get a good coat of grease on the terminals.

Genuinely confused. Greasing terminals was my thought but in my post here, you suggested not. I appreciate this is a terminal connector rather than the lead post of a battery but why the difference to grease or not? I'm about to service my electric winches and a light wire brush of the terminals to remove verdigris and thin wipe of grease is my plan.

Battery terminal coating

Fresh air. No need to grease battery terminals, it just makes a mess.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Battery terminals are lead, they don't go rusty. The remains of that terminal are rusty, grease will protect the new one. To be honest, i'd have expected that terminal to have been made from something corrosion resistant.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Paul, I appreciate the battery terminal is lead but the clamp and bolt often go furry so my habit has been a finger wipe of vaseline over it as protection.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Paul, I appreciate the battery terminal is lead but the clamp and bolt often go furry so my habit has been a finger wipe of Vaseline over it as protection.

My battery clamps tend to be copper and tinned, but the bolts are mainly plated steel and I try to replace mine with brass and spray with a protection spray as below

10034.jpg

davethedog

Visit site
Thanks all and as said it can wait until we get back to the UK (we can use it in keep-fit mode unitl then). Had a look at the other terminals and all seem OK.

DTD