Length of anchor chain + number of anchors

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
For long distance sailing and Caribbean anchoring we had 56 metres of chain on a 45 lb CQR. Our second anchor was a Fortress with 30 metres of chain and 30 metres of rope. Our third anchor was a storm anchor, a monster Fotress, with same amount of chain and rope as the second anchor. The boat was a 38 foot heavy displacement steel ketch weighing 14 tons fully loaded.

geem

Visit site
on a 44 ft heavy yacht we have 60m of 10mm chain with an additional 50m of 24mm anchorplait grafted on permanently. Our second anchor is a large aluminium kedge set on as much rope as needed. Our third is another smaller aluminium Guardian. We have anchored in 25m of water fairly regularly. Having done a couple of Atlantic circuits I dont feel the need to carry more chain. We do carry lots of large rope so more scope can be set up as necessary. chain is great for ant-chafe on a rough sea bed but very heavy if you don't need it all the time

jordanbasset

Visit site
We had 50 metres of chain plus 50 metres of rope with a Kobra 2 anchor on a Bavaria 38. Also had the old CQR which I kept meaning to chuck out but never could bring myself to for some reason. In addition we had a Fortress , the intention being to use it off the stern. As it turns out we only ever needed to use the Kobra2. When we do it again the only change would be to ditch the CQR and have around 70 metres of chain and 50 m of rope.

Chalker

Visit site
42 ft Hallberg Rassy (= not lightweight). Have 80m of 10mm chain and have appreciated having all of it. Also have 2 x 30m of Octoplait (20mm+) should things get bad!
Hafway through an RTWin Darwin.

Also have 4 anchors.

You are not over equipped. Under? TBD!!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Just like you I know at less five couple now who sailed all the way from the UK to the Med and not spend one night at anchor using marinas each time they stop , they have just been lucky just like the people you have met .
I am sure you agree that none of us want to anchor in deep water or in a blow if we didn't have to but the fact is if you are going to cruising you should be prepared in case that time comes .

Very true. Even in marinas, you never know. We went to Ajaccio marina for a few nights to sit out a big mistral blow. On the Friday, still blowing like crazy, marina staff came around and kicked us out as the charter boats were returning. We and several other visitor boats went to the end of the bay near the LNG terminal, only sheltered place we could find. Water was 20 metres deep. Our 50 metres of chain was very marginal, especially in the conditions.

prv

Visit site
Ariam is a fairly light 34-footer, sailing in the English Channel where we have good weather forecasts and shelter never (relatively speaking) all that far away.

I initially equipped her with a 20kg Spade and 60m of chain, plus another 50m of warp with thimble and shackle ready to add onto the end. Sadly that weight of chain proved too much on her relatively fine bow (possibly I should have gone a size smaller on the anchor too) so we now have only 20m of chain but, in exchange, 80m of warp permanently spliced on for a total cable length of 100m before adding extensions (we have two very long lines in the locker if needed, not counting all the normal mooring warps).

We also have a Danforth type kedge on 10m of chain and 50m of warp. I can't remember the weight, but it's about what the manufacturer recommends for a main anchor for our size of boat (but I think their recommendation is a little light for a main).

I mention all this for comparison - but not like-for-like comparison. Very roughly, boats grow with the cube of their length. So you're two and a half times our size. For "long range cruising" in a 45-foot boat, you're not over-equipped, you're some way under.

Pete

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
One other thought about anchoring is in strong winds a boat can swing 45 degrees to the wind putting an enormous shock load on the chain and anchor. We flew a triangular riding sail and it cuts the swinging to 25 degrees. I've seen very few boats using one but I would strongly recommend it. We flew ours on the mizzen topping lift with pointy bit tied to the mizzen mast. A sloop can tie it to the the backstay with rope to a stanchion each side and the boom taught.