Lefkas - Anyone know it well?

Visit site
Wintering in Lefkas, and have a ton of work to do. Unfortunately I can't get on the hard here un March at the earliest which is a problem, but there is other stuff I can be getting on with. Unless I can find somewhere else close-by to spend a month or so on the hard.

Anyway, anyone know a good place for a materials, wood ply and other types, steel pipe etc.. . I'm guessing their isn't a huge DIY/Home store around here? Also need some fibreglass sheet, and some vinyl flooring materials amongst other things.

Also I'm told by the marina that isn't a laundry in town, is that true? At the marina it's €10 per load (wash only) and they use domestic machines with tiny drums so you have to pay for two loads instead. That's going to get expensive over 6 months.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi
There a wood come builder yard on the way to lidi on the main road , most people will tell you where it is .
There a very good tools and bits shop about 10 min walk from the Marina , walk out th e gates cross the road and keep walking until you reach the main road , turn left and the shop is down there on the right ,if you ask people in the Marina for B&Q , that's what people call it .
GRP , walk out the Marina gate and cross the road , second turning on the left , there a good chandlers they have most stuff in there , I wouldn't bother with the one in the Marina .
There a laundry in the town , but it not cheap .
As far as going on the hard , has your a cat and don't need to be prop you may be lucky if you ask the yards in Nidri but I do understand they are petty full , ask Ruari at the Vliho yacht club , tell him I sent you , he maybe able to help .
Edit
Just a tho , although they most likely to be full , if you went over to Ionian yard in Preveza and talk to them , again as you don't need to be prop you could be luck there too .
One last thing , there a guy call Keven who lives on his boat in the Marina , he is a yacht survey, he be a good guy to talk to re where you can get stuff .
Good luck

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
Just to add to Vic's comments:
the wood yard he mentions isn't bad for ply. Doubt they do marine, but they did stock WBP. Also has CNC machinery for cutting it to pattern, if that helps.
If by 'fibreglass sheet'you mean already laminated with resin, the Les Wood can probably provide. Ask around for his details. If you mean resin and glass cloth separately, the chandlers at the marina or outside can supply.
Kevan Whittle is very approachable, particularly if Spurs have had a good result. Mine of local info. Lives on yacht 'Orion' in the marina when he's not in Porto bar.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
the wood yard he mentions isn't bad for ply. Doubt they do marine, but they did stock WBP. Also has CNC machinery for cutting it to pattern, if that helps.
If by 'fibreglass sheet'you mean already laminated with resin, the Les Wood can probably provide. Ask around for his details. If you mean resin and glass cloth separately, the chandlers at the marina or outside can supply.
Kevan Whittle is very approachable, particularly if Spurs have had a good result. Mine of local info. Lives on yacht 'Orion' in the marina when he's not in Porto bar.

Not certain if Ionian will have space unless someone cancelled, they told me a couple of months ago that they were fully booked. Cleopatra had some spaces then, no idea about Aktio yard but whole area seems busy for winter storage. No harm in asking anyway as you never know if anyone changed their plans.

Last edited:
Visit site

Good news on the wood shop. Makes it much easier if I can just go there with patterns and get pieces cut. Need a new floor with hatches cut for both hulls and a diesel tank cover done.

I was talking about made up fibreglass sheet like you can easily buy in the UK, but I suppose I can just make my own.

Also need to find some acrylic or polycarbonate and some white PVC think sheets.

Then it's onto painting the decks.

Busy winter I think.

Visit site
Found most places, and already sent Les an email since he is the coppercoat supplier here. At the current prices I won't be buying it though.

Spoke with three locals today, none of them have heard of a place they call B&Q is it more of a yachtie thing?

Other than that it looks like I can get everything I need except a biocide like Marine 16, foam brushes, and decent degreaser.

Prices are astronomical for some things. Posting a 1kg package to the UK is over €20 compared with about €8 in the opposite direction, or just €2-3 for national postage. Checked the price of some electronics to. The B&G Vulcan 7 is over €300 more expensive in Greece than Germany.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Found most places, and already sent Les an email since he is the coppercoat supplier here. At the current prices I won't be buying it though.

Spoke with three locals today, none of them have heard of a place they call B&Q is it more of a yachtie thing?

Other than that it looks like I can get everything I need except a biocide like Marine 16, foam brushes, and decent degreaser.

Prices are astronomical for some things. Posting a 1kg package to the UK is over €20 compared with about €8 in the opposite direction, or just €2-3 for national postage. Checked the price of some electronics to. The B&G Vulcan 7 is over €300 more expensive in Greece than Germany.

Only British yachtie know the shop as B&Q , to find it again walk out gate and cross road keep going until you reach the Lefkas to Nidri road , turn left you go pass a super market on right , bit further on before garage it's on right

Chandlers that will do you a good deal are marine store which is near the bus station and Nautilus store as I said before , the Marina chandlers are about U.S as you can get and CYS i never been able to get any discount from but there is a new chandlers but the small roundabout and he was given deals but you have to shop around and ask for a discount .

Pasarell

Visit site
Small correction to Vic's directions for B&Q. Go exactly as he says, past the supermarket on the right and the DIY store is on the left, not right. It's only known as B&Q by the Brits so no point in asking the local people for that name. There is also a very good tool shop in the town if you need something less common or better quality. Can't remember what it's called but happy to give you directions. (I'm Pete, often to be found talking to Kev at the bar in Porto!). For boaty stuff Nautilus Chandlery is probably the best quality, straight out of the main gates to the marina, across the road and turn left at the post office after about 100m. For discounts you need to go to MarinePoint halfway along the harbour front in among loads of restaurants. Eccentric Greek owner who is always up for a deal if he likes you and you know he likes you when he starts giving you coffee! He has a good stock of normal things but can get anything else pretty quickly. There are several laundries in the town all at much the same price but the amount you get done varies. The one I use is probably closest about 150m from the marina entrance and charges 12 euros for a large bag washed, dried and neatly folded. She's very busy still with hotels and charter boats but if you use her through the winter she always looks after you in the summer when she's busy. There's also an English woman, Ally, who collects from the marina and returns when done but only 1 day a week I think.
Porto is the social centre for the marina during the winter and there is no shortage of advice available, all freely given but some of it very dodgy.....

Visit site
Thanks. I've been down by Lidl so have seen a couple of hardware shops. I do actually need some decent tools too. Been about 4 Chandleries so far, couldn't remember their names, but they seem decent enough.

Not been in Porto yet. I went next door for a beer. Are you in Lefkas marina? Perhaps it's easier to pick your brain over a beer sometime instead?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Small correction to Vic's directions for B&Q. Go exactly as he says, past the supermarket on the right and the DIY store is on the left, not right. It's only known as B&Q by the Brits so no point in asking the local people for that name. There is also a very good tool shop in the town if you need something less common or better quality. Can't remember what it's called but happy to give you directions. (I'm Pete, often to be found talking to Kev at the bar in Porto!). For boaty stuff Nautilus Chandlery is probably the best quality, straight out of the main gates to the marina, across the road and turn left at the post office after about 100m. For discounts you need to go to MarinePoint halfway along the harbour front in among loads of restaurants. Eccentric Greek owner who is always up for a deal if he likes you and you know he likes you when he starts giving you coffee! He has a good stock of normal things but can get anything else pretty quickly. There are several laundries in the town all at much the same price but the amount you get done varies. The one I use is probably closest about 150m from the marina entrance and charges 12 euros for a large bag washed, dried and neatly folded. She's very busy still with hotels and charter boats but if you use her through the winter she always looks after you in the summer when she's busy. There's also an English woman, Ally, who collects from the marina and returns when done but only 1 day a week I think.
Porto is the social centre for the marina during the winter and there is no shortage of advice available, all freely given but some of it very dodgy.....
Pete one of us have had one too many Haha, if you walk pass Nautilus which will be on the Left then that type of bits and pieces shop again on left next turning is the main road, turn left the super market on the right just back a bit from the road then there a type of car repair garage another 50/100 meters is B&Q on the right , opposite it on the left there a steel place , or am I dreaming ? :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
B&Q: as said, just ask a Brit. Kev's easy to find if he's around. If he's in Porto he'll probably be near a ginger cat called Barnie, which gets miffed if anyone nick his bar-stool. A very cool mog.
All part of Lefkada's rich soap opera.

He was a bit more then miffed , when he had to share the Marina with our Eddie Med cat but in he end they both got on ok .

Pasarell

Visit site
Pete one of us have had one too many Haha, if you walk pass Nautilus which will be on the Left then that type of bits and pieces shop again on left next turning is the main road, turn left the super market on the right just back a bit from the road then there a type of car repair garage another 50/100 meters is B&Q on the right , opposite it on the left there a steel place , or am I dreaming ? :)

One of us is dreaming Vic and I'm prepared to be corrected as a newcomer. I've only been there once and was sure it was on the left, anyway, he's found it now so doesn't matter any more.
I'm in China at the moment but will check when sometime when I get back. If I'm right I will broadcast loud and clear. On the other hand, if I'm wrong you may never hear about it....

Pasarell

Visit site
Mikedefieslife;621228 Not been in Porto yet. I went next door for a beer. Are you in Lefkas marina? Perhaps it's easier to pick your brain over a beer sometime instead?[/QUOTE said:
My boat is there (F63) but I'm suffering in China at the moment, back next week sometime I hope. Where are you in the marina? Happy to meet for a beer but it may last longer than the time to pick my brain! I can introduce you to a few of the other regulars as well. It's a pretty friendly crowd most of the time. Porto is smaller than the place you went but most of us find it nicer, the beer is cheaper and it is the only place that stayed open all last winter. If you let me know your berth or boat name I will come find you when I get back

Visit site
I found the B&Q. Seems ok for some stuff, especially plumbing. Went to the steel place too. Only 304 though. I was hoping to get a small piece of 316 to cover a hole I'm about to cut in my tank.

I'm on E37 (Jade). Going to check out Porto this evening. It has been a day since my last beer and I'm getting thirsty.