Leaving a UK registered boat in Leros marina.

rigpigpaul

Visit site
Hi All, I am considering leaving my boat in Leros marina on a 12 month contract. I know I am only allowed 90 days because of Schengen.
Is there any problems booking out of Greece and back from the marina. My current contract has doubled so I am looking for an alternative from Turkey.
Thanks
RPP

st599

Visit site
It's VAT status will need to be known before anyone can answer. Where was it on Brexit Day? Where are you resident?

JFowler

Visit site
Leros is a summer port of entry.
Customs / Port Police are on the free town quay. Theres no facility to check in at the Leros Marina, but it’s only a 15-20min walk to the town quay.
The last I heard Leros Marina had a waiting list. Pythagorean or Mytilini would alternatives.

Tranona

Visit site
It is a "third country" boat so you will have to enter under temporary admission rules which give you a nominal 18 months in the EU. However renewable after leaving EU waters and re-entering.

JFowler

Visit site
Given that you’re coming from Turkey and weren‘t in Greece on 31.12.20 you will get a 18 months Transit Log, which is renewable by leaving Greek waters. You can ‘stop the clock’ by surrendering the TL to the PP when you leave the boat. Leros Marina will advise.
You will also need to pay the ETepai for the months you are cruising Greece.
Having a TL does mean you have to get it stamped in and out of every port you visit.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Given that you’re coming from Turkey and weren‘t in Greece on 31.12.20 you will get a 18 months Transit Log, which is renewable by leaving Greek waters. You can ‘stop the clock’ by surrendering the TL to the PP when you leave the boat. Leros Marina will advise.
You will also need to pay the ETepai for the months you are cruising Greece.
Having a TL does mean you have to get it stamped in and out of every port you visit.
Depending on circumstances, if you were in the EU within 3 years of the date you now enter Greece, you may be able to claim Retured Goods Relief (RGR), You will have to have Vat paid in Europe or in the UK, and that you are the person who originally took the boat out of Europe. In which case your claim for RGR should be fine. If you were not in the EU VAT area before, but say in Tunisia and more than 3 years have gone by, you will have lost your vat permenantly unless you have special circumstances. As no one has ever made a claim for that in Europe, I have no idea if it would succeed.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Depending on circumstances, if you were in the EU within 3 years of the date you now enter Greece, you may be able to claim Retured Goods Relief (RGR), You will have to have Vat paid in Europe or in the UK, and that you are the person who originally took the boat out of Europe. In which case your claim for RGR should be fine. If you were not in the EU VAT area before, but say in Tunisia and more than 3 years have gone by, you will have lost your vat permenantly unless you have special circumstances. As no one has ever made a claim for that in Europe, I have no idea if it would succeed.
I think they’re very luckly knowing how the Greek system work :)