Leaving a boat in NW Scotland

arto

Visit site
I'm looking for recommendations for places I might leave a boat (fin keel, less than 40ft) for a week or so in NW Scotland during the summer - ideally somewhere north of Ardnamurchan but with decent public transport, so Mallaig, Plockton, etc would fit the bill as they are have rail connections back south. If mooring, it would be good to know there's somewhere to safely store a dinghy or a friendly boatyard or HM that will provide a ferry service.

I'm not familiar with the area, hence the question. Hopefully there are readers on the forum who are able to provide some sage advice.

Thanks!

ctva

Visit site
Lochinvar, Arisaig, Mallaig, isle Oronsay, Plockton, all have good transport and moorings / pontoons which you would be able to use. All lovely places as most are north of Ardnamurchan.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
No train from Lochinver, but a bus to Ullapool picks up at the harbour and links to the coach to Inverness at the ferry terminal from where trains go south. Ullapool bus you buy the ticket from the driver. Inverness coach needs to be pre-booked.

There are also hefty visitor moorings at Ullapool and a dinghy can be left at the sailing club.

Minchsailor

Visit site
This is something I do frequently with my own boat.

You mention 'decent public transport' - sadly with government financial cutbacks, this is going to be challenge. The rail services from Kyle of Localsh to Inverness, and Mallaig/Fort William to Glasgow have been decimated this year. Fortunately the Citylink coaches are still running and a seat can be reserved (essential). A useful site for planning public transport is: Traveline Scotland.

From Ardnumurchan northwards:

Arisaig - no formal visitors' moorings as such, but a resident might be away and their mooring be available. Arisaig Marine changed hands just before Covid hit (Graham and Sarah are no longer there) and I don't know what policy the new owners' are following. Last time I spoke to them they were very much feeling their way. Local bus twice a day to Fort William, then Citylink.

Mallaig - Last time I was there a few weeks ago I got the impression that longer term mooring in the marina was frowned upon, but they have a few(6?) moorings which could be used. 'Secure' place to leave the dinghy is limited, but I have left mine for a couple of weeks under the pier with no problems. Bus as above.

Plockton - c15 visitors moorings. First come, first served. No problem using one for longer term. Leave dinghy on the locals' pontoon. Midday train to Inverness, otherwise taxi to Kyle of Lochalsh and then Citylink.

Ullapool - 6-8 visitors' buoys. First come, first served. It's fair way to the landing, but I have seen dinghies propped up on the wall beside the sailing club. There maybe a possibility of the HM providing a taxi service - I have seen this mentioned but not heard of it being used. Citylink to Inverness a couple of times day, and also the service 61 coach which is not reservable, but the last time I used it only had a few school kids with loads of spaces left.

Lochinver - In some ways this may be the best option (my own boat is there at the present). Pontoon berth. First come, first served. Yacht business has increased (more boats than I have seen before in the hard standing) and, despite it being a busy commercial and fishing harbour, the HM finds time for us yotties. Local bus a couple of times a day to Ullapool, then Citylink as above.

Now a couple of left field ones:

Dunvegan (West coast of Skye) - 5 mooring buoys, well sheltered. Again, first come, first served. I think you can leave a dinghy on the pontoon OK. Couple of local buses a day to Portree, then Citylink.

North Harbour, Scalpay, Isle of Harris - if you want to cross to the Outer Hebrides. Well sheltered pontoon (better than than at Tarbert). Local bus to Tarbert which connects with the ferry to Uig on Skye, and also for the bus to Stornoway. At Uig there is Citylink to Glasgow.

@ctva mention Isle Oronsay - there are vistors moorings there, but they are managed by the local (fairly posh) hotel for people dining there. Not sure how happy they would be for a boat to be left on them for a fair time!

ctva

Visit site
@ctva mention Isle Oronsay - there are vistors moorings there, but they are managed by the local (fairly posh) hotel for people dining there. Not sure how happy they would be for a boat to be left on them for a fair time!
Are you referring to the Duisdale Hotel moorings which fit your 'posh' description? We have stayed there and they are sailors themselves, great food too.

I was meaning the visitor mooring at Isle Oronsay, though have never used them myself as we usually anchor there.

No harm in asking.

Fascadale

Visit site
Just south of Ardnamurchan point, Salen, Loch Sunart

Daily bus service to and from, simple connection by bus to Glasgow airport and railway stations Excellent little shop, pub, beautiful place

Salen Jetty have a number of well serviced visitors moorings

www.salenjetty.co.uk

dunedin

Visit site
Say hi to Jan from Paul

Daily bus service. Almost quicker than taking your own car.
According to Google looks like about 3 hours longer from Salen to Glasgow by public transport compared to Oban /Glasgow, and much fewer options in terms of potential departure times. (And car from Salen at least 2.5 hours quicker)
Pretty location, but certainly I personally won’t be adding to my list of places to leave the boat to return home.

Fascadale

Visit site
Pretty location, but certainly I personally won’t be adding to my list of places to leave the boat to return home.

That’s okay then.

Moorings there are like hens teeth, only about 20 plus the three visitors moorings

I enjoy the journey up and down and am very content to be there