Leak from Jabsco toilet

Miker

Visit site
The toilet leaks at the seawater inlet pipe connection at the back of the toilet. The pipe connection does not appear to seat firmly against the rubber washer. I can turn the pipe connection both ways by use of brute force and a screwdriver pushed up the pipe end. I would welcome advice on how to tighten the pipe connection against the rubber washer, assuming that is the cause of the leak. Do I continue to use brute force and, if so, which way do I turn the connection?

The leak does not endanger the boat as I have fitted a vented loop. It is just a nuisance having to mop up after the toilet is used. I would add that the connection has always been like it is now. Just another example of the slipshod work carried out by the boat supplier.

trevor

Visit site
I just serviced my toilet pump (an old one) and if your Jabsco is the same as mine the rubber washer you mention is in fact the "joker valve" this has a flange on it which is sandwitched between the body of the pump and the "discharge elbow" this in turn is held in place with two screws thru a flange plate. I suggest you try tightening these two screws, evenly!, unfortunatley they face the rear of the toilet pump, you might have to find a right angle screwdriver if you dont have acess to the rear.
Hope this is useful
Trevor

trevor

Visit site
Sorry I misread your posting, to tighten the inlet turn it anti clockwise viewed from the front of the toilet. Try some teflon tape on the threads or try tightening the large nut which holds the whole thing to the toilet pan. Take care you do not over tighten and strip the threads.
Good luck
Trevor

Miker

Visit site
Thanks. Large nut?

I don't recall seeing a large nut. I will have another look when I go back to the boat. From what I recall, the inlet pipe just sits in the rubber washer and disappears into a hole at the back of the toilet. I can't see any easy way of getting to the inside of the toilet rim to check how the inlet pipe is secured.

dickh

Visit site
Re: Thanks. Large nut?

Can you fit a Hose Clip? - I have the Jabsco but mine doesn't leak(I think) & cannot recall the actual arrangement - perhaps a new hose might cure it?

dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Miker

Visit site
Re: Thanks. Large nut?

No. It's not the hose but where the inlet pipe disappears into the back of the toilet. A flange on the inlet pipe looks as though it should seat firmly against a black rubber washer, but there is a gap between the flange and the washer which is wet after pumping.

pvb

Visit site
Ah, now I understand...

At least, I think I do! Thought you were talking about where the intake water joins the pump, but now I think you're talking about where the flushing water enters the bowl. If so, I believe the intake elbow (which the flushing water hose fits on to) is screwed on to a plastic stud which mounts inside the back of the bowl and which has a big nut on the outside of the bowl. There's a sealing O-ring between this stud and the intake elbow. If it isn't sealing properly, you'll need to tighten up the intake elbow by rotating it on the stud - but to do this without upsetting the alignment of the flushing water pipe, you'll need to loosen the big nut and rotate the stud instead. Hope this makes sense; I know what I mean!

Miker

Visit site
Thanks everyone But...

I went to the boat today and used brute force. The inlet elbow appears not to be on any thread and can be forced tight against the back washer by turning in either direction and at the same time pushing against the back of the bowl.
I can't find any nut at the back. The elbow just goes into the back of the toilet rim which seems to be an integral moulded piece of plastic.
I can only hope that the tighter seal does the trick.

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Re: Thanks everyone But...

I have encountered a similar problem just there and was thinking of binding the joint with white self-amalgamating tape. Does anyone how well this stands up to seawater?