Lead ballast-where to buy?

andyball

Visit site
I'm after 1 tonne lead ballast : been told it can be bought in pre-cast "interlocking" blocks . Who sells it around portsmouth/chichester area?
Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

jmp

Visit site
Not sure about your area ,but on the lookout myself ,but no hurry.
I have my ballast in bars of approx 4-5kg,and hope to replace with shot/resin mix.
Have found a supply at local plumbers supplier in 2kg blocks cast in the prism shape of the hollow top of a house brick.
They are made from offcuts when selling roofing lead,and it takes some time to accumulate large quantities.

Will let you know if I can help further.Please also let me know if you come across shot or similar small size.

Michael

<hr width=100% size=1>jmp

andyball

Visit site
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.leadtechnologies.co.uk/other.htm>http://www.leadtechnologies.co.uk/other.htm</A> do lead shot....no idea on price.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Like JMP I recently bought some from a local builder's merchant. Cost is about £1 per Kg, so not cheap. Luckily I was able to supplement this with a quantity of old roof flashing, which was re-cast. Its really worth doing this.

Lead shot is less available since it was banned for fishing. The suppliers I found wanted £2 per Kg with a minimum order of 200 Kg ... forget it, I said.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andyball

Visit site
He's talked himself into it....despite advice to wait 'til he knows how to sail the b.thing !.

However, his mind is always made up, until he changes it again....and last evening he had a solo sail, managing 3 knots with just one sail up, and heeling 1-2 degrees ; so maybe he's getting the idea?.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
He'd have had a nice reach up and down the harbour in 16 -20 knots Easterly then. Stubborn as hell these Vikings, I expect he'll change his mind once he gains a bit more confidence in the boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Re: I\'ve got 200Kg in ingots

and I'm looking to get rid . . . .

<hr width=100% size=1>Barry (yacht Mithril)

G

Re: I\'ve got 200Kg in ingots

I'm nearer the E Coast. The lead is in Cambridge.

<hr width=100% size=1>Barry (yacht Mithril)

G

We bought old lead piping (2 tonnes) from a scrap merchant and melted it into a saucepan thus creating our own ingots. To melt the large quantity the pot was heated over a roofing torch hired from your local hire centre.
Once the ingots were in position molten lead was poured in to fill the voids.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sapper

Visit site
Can sometimes be bought from roofing companies who strip out a lot of old flashing. The idea is that you save them a trip to the scrap yard & you buy it at under the price the scrappie is offering.

<hr width=100% size=1>

chippie

Visit site
If you are into pouring it yourself you may be able to source some from tyre repair shops that have used wheel balance weights. Probably lots of trips though!

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
I have 2 ton (and more coming) of roofing lead from flashings etc. Who will buy this off me when it reaches 6 ton? Can you give me the name and number of the people doing the lead ballasts please.

Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

duncan

Visit site
Re: Lead ballast-where to buy?re arcturus

we did similar many years ago on a Francis 26 fit out.

old tranatlantic lead cable sheathing. Beat out the best bits into sheets and lined the keel. Cast the rest in a biscuit tin mold! placed blocks into keel and then melted some down and poured into the spaces...............
However - all ingots were 'stone cold' when placed into keel and only about 2 ingots - about 10 kg each - could be poured in (to different parts of the keel) each 24 hours to avoid heat build up and damage to the glass. Total was 1.5 tons if I remember.
Ended up over 1/2inch lower than the one piece plug the manufacturers dropped in when they fitted out.

<hr width=100% size=1>