Layup in Spain

DaiB

Visit site
I'm looking for somewhere to over winter from October within about a 100 miles of Gib, either side.
Need a secure berth where I can leave the boat for about six months, someone to keep an eye on it, ability to haul out and a good price.
Any ideas ???
Thanks in advance.

Martini

Visit site
There are a couple of places East of Malaga which I have been told are cheep and safe to layup. At the moment my boat is at Sheppards in Gibraltar and I have found them very good, not only for looking after my boat but also the convenience of their workshop facilities and chandlers.
I am quite familiar with the areas from Cadiz south to Gib. and would not recommend any safe havens for layup.

Sorry I couldn't be of any further help
martini

charles_reed

Visit site
Try Gelves - just outside Sevilla on the W arm of the Guadalquivir - cheap and a friendly place with lots of German and Brit liveaboards. I wintered there last year and found it good.
Cheap flights from Stansted -Jerez by Buzz.

Keep out of the Med
Other places are Junta de Andalucia marinas - Chipiona, Mazagon or Puerto dos Americas at Cadiz. The latter is a bit lacking in security.

charles_reed

Visit site
I´d agree about Sheppards workshop facilities, but their marina is a dump and all prices in Gib are double those in Spain.

An alternative, with as good facilities as Gib. is Isla Christina at about 1/2 the price.
However it´s outside the 100M from Gib specified.