Laying up in the Dominican Republic

fliti

Visit site
Can anyone give me any recommendations on laying up out of the water in the DR i.e. where, do's and don'ts etc, please?

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Dominica is regularly hit by hurricanes so make sure every boat on the hard is tied to screws in the ground and the keel should also be in a hole in the ground. If those conditions are not met there is a fair chance of boats falling on each other. Also check you insurance covers Dominica I suspect it may not. The safest places are Trinidad or Curacao both of which we have done.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
Can anyone give me any recommendations on laying up out of the water in the DR i.e. where, do's and don'ts etc, please?
I spent a week in Ocean World Marina, Cofresi, back in 2009. It is convenient for the Puerto Plata airport (by taxi) and the staff were efficient. You can clear in and out of the DR there.
There are few places on the northern coast and the marina gets some surge but that shouldn't worry you if you want dry storage - they do have a travel lift.

Tranona

Visit site
Dominica is regularly hit by hurricanes so make sure every boat on the hard is tied to screws in the ground and the keel should also be in a hole in the ground. If those conditions are not met there is a fair chance of boats falling on each other. Also check you insurance covers Dominica I suspect it may not. The safest places are Trinidad or Curacao both of which we have done.

Dominica is a completely different place from the Dominican Republic that the OP is enquiring about. It is the eastern part of the island of Hispaniola, Haiti is the west. Dominica is a small island in the lesser antilles.

So as is often the case, your advice is useless.

fliti

Visit site
Luperon in the DR is one of the safer hurricane holes as it is on the North coast and very protected.

These guys have a good rep. http://marinatropical.com/new/prices/

Excellent and helpful advice as always, TQA. Any further thoughts on security-talking about laying up for perhaps 12 months? have you any personal experience of these people or indeed from those who have used them, please?

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>Dominica is a completely different place from the Dominican Republic that the OP is enquiring about. It is the eastern part of the island of Hispaniola, Haiti is the west. Dominica is a small island in the lesser antilles.

Sorry I meant Dominican republic not Dominica so the advice is valid and I'd start with the insurance

ripvan1

Visit site
A friend has kept his yacht on a mooring in Luperon Bay for several years now without incident. I believe it is a recognised hurricane hole.