Laying-up in S Devon

andy_wilson

Visit site
Having given up our marina berth and commenced a (very) leisurely tour of Britain, we find ourselves in Salcombe.

I am looking for somewhere to haul-out for winter and would welcome any recommendations.

Originally I planned to be in the Bristol Channel by September but there is still far to much to see down here so that can wait until 2003.

I am considering Baltic Wharfe at Totnes and Lincombe Farm B/Y at Salcombe. I was wondering if anyone could comment upon these, and possibly recommend a yard in the Plymouth area.

Reasonable access from the main road (or rail) system an advantage as we come from Yorkshire (Salcombe not ideal in this respect). We may need to have some re-glassing done around the P-bracket due to an argument with some fishermans cast-offs, so GRP expertise nearby would be useful. Also ability to connect up to some electricity occasionally to charge the batts. and mabe run a heater. We have been in Hamble Point previously where all electricity points were permanetly taken, we finally found one three extension cables away!

Any advice from the locals would be welcome.

Trevethan

Visit site
Suggest Exeter Canal Basin. Very inexpensive. Impossible to have boat nicked unless its trailerable due to locks, bridges etc.

Very sheltered

Only problem I have heard of is tools getting pinched.

Access is great main line rail and right on the motorway. There is a quite a community down tehre. Lots of folks who know how to do stuff.. very useful.

The basin is operated by Exeter City council. HM is Jack Knott.

ccscott49

Visit site
Galmpton, on the way to the dartmouth ferry, or try noss on dart, the phillips marina on thee side of the river you don't need to get the ferry to. Both have plenty of glass/engineering etc on site and nthe rest is available around about. Totnes is also a good idea, with plenty of people around and secure, as are both of the others.

andy_wilson

Visit site
Overcoming the powers of darkness....

...to quote Tom Cunliffe in the Shell Channel Pilot.

We were to leave her in that very basin for 6 weeks after departing Lymington at Easter. However, despite several telephone calls to Jack in confirmation of high tide times, staff availability, and weekend working, we called him up one Friday whilst departing Weymouth to confirm we would be there at HW Saturday morning only to be told we couldn't be let in.

Stuck the boat on a visitors mooring down the Exe and suffered the variable hours of the Taxi service instead.

However, always open minded, how is the access by car etc. to the basin itself? The OS map looks rather sparse on rights of way, 'cept a tow path. Is there a track from the south up towards the lock, and is there anywhere to park nearby?

Thanks for the reminder!

andy_wilson

Visit site
Galmpton

Rather thought I would give MDL prices a miss. Had a drive down there when I was retrieving my car from the regatta crowds last week, got a quote, subject to price increases TBA.

No thanks!

Will look up Phillips however. Fascinated by the rusting hulk moored just above there, is it a burnt out hull or unfinished project? I have friend who is a hopeless dreamer who would be daft enough to take something like that on!

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Galmpton

Dont know about the hulk, I'm not there anymore, but I did forget about the MDL bit! Phillips should be considerably cheaper, I like Totnes aswell though, nice pubs and shops and lovely scenery.

Cornishman

Visit site
Calstock any use?

Calstock Boatyard on the Cornwall bank of the Tamar has good laying up facilities and Calstock has the advantage of a railway station on the branch line to Plymouth. Very well sheltered in a favourable climate (we rarely see frost and the last time it snowed heavily was in the 1980s)
Get in touch if I can be of any help.

Visit site
I spent an afternoon checking out a yacht for sale at a small boat yard about 3 miles north of Salcombe on the west bank of the estuary. The yard has the rustic appeal of the Elephant Boat yard and is tucked away between some idyllic South Ham hills. Not an MDL sign in sight!

The yacht I inspected was for sale with Wave Marine, not sure if that was the agency or boatyard name. I viewed a Nicholson 38 and did not notice anything larger.

The yard completely fails your rail transport criteria but the wonderful view would make tedious maintenance jobs more palatable.

Trevethan

Visit site
Re: Overcoming the powers of darkness....

The canal has two basins, the one at Turf, where you enter is a nightmare to get to by car and you risk getting clamped. I suggest coming up the other end of the canal to Exeter itself. No problkems with access there at all.

Getting in and out isn't too big a problem. given them lots of notice and remind them a couple of days ahead of time. Best bet is to make it in on a weekday rather than Saturday or Sunday.

summerwind

Visit site
Re: Dart hulk

I heard that the hulk is an unfinished project. Supposed to be fitted out inside to a very high standard!

Also heard that new owner paid 1.1 Million squids for her - Yes - 1.1 Million.

Noss marina has excellent hard standing and plenty of it. There is water and electricity in the hard standing areas and it is sheltered from the winter winds.

chas

Visit site
If you want to haul out there are a couple of yards in Exmouth which are quite reasonable - good train service into Exeter for onward connectiion with staion within walking distance of yards.