lay up time??

manish

Visit site
hi guys thanks for all the help so far.
i was wondering if anyone can tell me how long should i be looking at laying up for??

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I've long since considered this an urban legend.

If boats had to come out every year, where would liveaboards live half the time?

Our boat's been afloat all the time, all her life. She started showing some minor signs of osmosis after 20 years. Treatment was taken care of by previous owner - it did not cost an arm and a leg (nowhere near).

The way I see it?
We paid 75K for our boat - why would I turn her into a 150K boat by only using her half the time?

Boats are safer afloat too - every year there are reports of yachts on the hard been toppled - domino effect.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Many of us do come out. There is the old saw about letting the hull dry out - not sure how valid that is. But there are other reasons. If your mooring or marina is likely to be exposed to winter gales, or to ice it's better to be ashore. If you've work to do on the boat, it's generally easier if the boat is ashore rather than out on a mooring. Work on the hull, keel, stern gear needs to be done ashore. And, frankly, with every thing else that needs to be fitted into life - house, garden, visiting distant relations, Christmas, winter holidays, etc. how likely are you to go sailing between - say - November and March?

PIGLETSDREAM

Visit site
Looking through our boat log I have found that I have done more sailing through the winter than I have during the summer. As TwisterKen says, the garden and home maintenance being the biggest bug bear. We bring our boat out of the water middle of April for a new coat of antifoul and change the anodes, but as we get 6 or is it 8 weeks free with our marina charge this does mean that there is no pressure unless the weather is bad. Course if you are on a swinging mooring, you insurers will tell you when you can and can't. Osmosis is a bit like old age, it will affect us all one day, just some it will affect quicker.

Happy sailing

wotayottie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i thought you have to lay up to let you hull dry out to prevent osmosis???

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. If the boat has osmosis it wont dry out even in 6 months out of the water - in fact thats one indication that it has the rot. True if a boat is vulnerable to osmosis (as most pre 90's boats are) then keeping it in the water 12 months a year will cause the problem to come to a head roughly twice as fast as keeping it in the water 6 months a year, but just going the 6 month route wont prevent.

All our club boats are 6 months in and 6 out because the moorings are dodgy in winter weather - and quite a few have developed osmosis. So my vote is for keeping the boat in the water if you will then use it.