Launching protocol

Stingo

Visit site
My new boat is now due to go splash on Tuesday next week. Besides cracking a bottle of bubbly on the anchor and saying something silly like "I name this boat Stingo", are there any other customs that I should know about?

fireball

Visit site
Yes ... you have to donate 10% of the boats value to everyone that replies here! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

landaftaf

Visit site
a blessing can help if you are caught out in poor weather sometime in the future ........ and a golden rivet (or coin) planted in the bilges if you are caught out for something to discuss - ahem ....... whenever /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

LymingtonPugwash

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The blessing just won't happen because I am not religious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Do you think that God sits there and says to Himself, "Aha... that's Stingo down there and he doesn't believe in Me, so I have to act like I don't exist for him and leave him alone"? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
One thing I learnt many years ago is that when in the middle of a war or in the middle of an extreme storm at sea, you won't find a single athiest or even an agnostic! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So.... cheers to your new boat /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.... may you have many a safe and happy passage, but watch out for crew who get too interested in that golden rivet on those long passages! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Allan

Visit site
When the boat is safely tied up, you MUST go into the nearest yacht club bar and shout "she's in the water, the drinks are on me" This is a little known custom but you never know if it catches on I may get a few drinks out of it!
Good luck with the new toy.
Allan
PS Just remembered it's a cat, you have to go into two yacht clubs!

Talbot

Visit site
Best of luck Such an eagerly awaited event must have some form of ceremony, even if it is just to splash a small amount of bubbly over both bows, and then drink the rest! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

EdWingfield

Visit site
Don't worry about God, it's King Neptune you shouldn't mess with! Google 'launching ceremony', get some alcohol ready, have a dignitary say the words and you'll be ok.

JKay

Visit site
Buya nga USomandla

enjoy Bafana enjoy

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gifCastle not No 17

Tot seins Joe

landaftaf

Visit site
mmmmm

it sounds like you havnt experienced a good blow yet

no further comment necessary /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Stingo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it sounds like you havnt experienced a good blow yet

[/ QUOTE ]Yes I have. Her name was Alina and she is from Russia.

As an aside, there is nothing worse than a self-righteous bible-punching devil-dodger demanding that others fall in line with their beliefs. I bet you have never had a non-believer knocking on your door, demanding that you change your beliefs? My stance is "First there was man. Then he invented god and all hell broke loose". I will never ask you to agree with my belief, so have some common decency and never force your's on anyone.

Mudplugger

Visit site
Best of Luck John, hope all goes well and she is all you are looking for!, Looked fantastic in the last shots... Wot about the libation for Neptune? and if you follow the Local E.Coast tradition, posy of flowers on the Stemhead! to gowith the Bubbly. Have a great day.

Norman_E

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As an aside, there is nothing worse than a self-righteous bible-punching devil-dodger demanding that others fall in line with their beliefs. I bet you have never had a non-believer knocking on your door, demanding that you change your beliefs? My stance is "First there was man. Then he invented god and all hell broke loose". I will never ask you to agree with my belief, so have some common decency and never force your's on anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

As an aside have you noticed how the bible punchers, Mormons and Jehovah's Witlesses that come to your door NEVER tell you what they are at the outset?
You can of course always tell. The Mormons wear smart suits and ties, and Jehovah's Witlesses are furtively holding copies of the Watchtower behind their backs.

landaftaf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
". I will never ask you to agree with my belief, so have some common decency and never force your's on anyone

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf are you banging on about now /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

where is the 'force' you allude too .......... its a simple statement backed up by experience /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

and fyi, I am not usually mistaken for a bible puncher - a novel situation which brings a smile to my face /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif