Last Post

Celena

Visit site
This will be my last post as tomorrow I leave work (hence no more forums) and shortly afterwards we leave the Solent (assuming we get the easterlies back) for a while.
I’ve gained a lot of useful information from the forums (once I learnt to sift out the rubbish) and joined in (but only when I thought I had something useful to contribute)
We plan to go west and across to the Irish east coast; north to Ballycastle and across to the Scottish west coast islands. A few weeks there (the threats of all sorts of beasties have left us undeterred) then back through the Crinan, Clyde, IOMan, Welsh coast and back to boating madness…
If any of you spot us on our journey please introduce yourself – there might be a beer in it!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
what is the boats name, type etc, will look out for you, when do you think you will be in the big country (i.e. Wales) any known points you will be stopping at?

Suggest a day or two in Porthmadog, from the visitors mooring you can stroll into town, or nip around to Portmerion for a nice relaxing day out.

Hope this is not included in your rubbish! section.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>Homepage</A>

claymore

Visit site
The pilot will tell you that Colonsay is subject to swell - it does not lie!!
If you are by Iona and don't fancy Tinkers or the Bull Hole go on up to Acarseid Mhor (Gometra North Harbour.) Go ashore and take the camera, walk up the hill and take a picture of your boat. You sound to be in the area when the puffins will be active around the Treshnish Isles - try and include it in your itinerary. If you need clean diesel in the north end of Mull area go into Salen in Loch Sunart. repairs - and I hope you don't - get yourself to Kilmelford - see you there.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

kieran

Visit site
Hi
I am based in Ballycastle marina the boats name is Alisa (big red ex Fishing boat) give a call and I shall tell you all about the tide around that part of the coast!

Regards
Kieran

<hr width=100% size=1>

NigeCh

Visit site
Mid may will see me (hopefully) in Lochs Nevis and Hourn ... and then until mid July I'll be somewhere in the Atlantic.

What you've got planned is a nice passage - My only reservation is the cost of you coming back south through the Crinan Canal - It's expensive and hard work, but it does bring you out into a superb sailing area. You'll love the Isle of Man and the Welsh coasts - They are pure magic.

Have fun.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Kieran
How close into Fair Head can you come when westbound and is there a back eddy if you are late and the tide is running east? Or do you do it differently?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

kieran

Visit site
Claymore

You can touch the rocks at Fairhead however around the bay there is a few rocks but all above LW.
I have been late going around the headland but you do need to stay well in to shore to pick the back eddie.
Dont be too late as back eddie or not the main run is about 6kns at +2hr HWD.
Dont try and get into Rathlin if you are late as there is big overfalls in the sound and a shed load of tide.
Kieran

<hr width=100% size=1>