Laptop for the boat

jakeroyd

Visit site
Apols if this has been discussed before. I have an idea I will get a cheap laptop , get a GPS receiver (plugs into USB or ethernet port I guess) , get some navigating software like Memory Map and away we go. I would also like to surf the net via Square Mile or BT when in port.
I am practical enough to set all this up.

However , how do I provide a Lat and Long for my DSC radio ?

This is I assume via one of the standard laptop outputs , serial/parallel port etc.

Could any forumite please advise.

If this is not possible I need to consider a marine plotter which will I gues still cost more than the above kit.

Do Forumites have experience of laptops on the boat , in terms of them giving up due to corrosion ?

(Currently my handheld Garmin GPS 12 provides the position data to the radio)

Thanks and Regards

bn2dave

Visit site
Not sure I fully understand your requirement?
Do you want to provide a GPS feed to to your DSC radio via the laptop which in turn is getting it's feed from your USB to GPS adapter?
If so, you will need a spare COM port to replicate the NMEA0183 signal and the application software will need some sort of pass-though capability - the GPS data that comes in on USB is seamlessly replicated on the RS232 port on your laptop. This site describes the kind of thing you may need http://www.serial-port-communication.com/split-comport/

An alternative would be to get an RS232 based GPS receiver and split the signal - 1 link to your laptop, 1 to the radio. By definition, RS232 is only a point to point protocol but I think this can be done without any other active electronics. If not just put an RS232 splitter in between. Something like this: http://www.compuphase.com/electronics/rs232split.htm

Cheers,

David

Talbot

Visit site
use the existing gps 12. split the nmea feed and provide one to the radio, the other to a seial plug. use a usb converter (I prefer the premium version from www.easysync.com because it shows you when data is flowing.

Lots of different versions of software available.

Dont forget a decent dc/dc converter I recommend the 120w version from Maplin.

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
Lots of ideas already but if you do decide to use a USB or PCMCIA GPS "mouse" then, as you suggest, you'll need to replicate the NMEA data onto a serial port for use by your DSC VHF. Check out Franson GpsGate (I've no connection with this supplier except as a satisfied customer). If your laptop has a serial port then this should provide the function you need. If your laptop only has USB you'll need a USB/serial converter.

Richard10002

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would also like to surf the net via Square Mile or BT when in port.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do a search on Square Mile.... dont think you would want to touch them with a bargepole!!

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Use GPS12 for VHF and GPS Mouse for laptop....built in redundancy!

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed - and maybe arrange it so that the GPS12 can also supply the PC (in case the 'mouse' dies) and so that the PC can also supply the VHF (in case the GPS12 dies).