Lanolin on Props

Davydine

Visit site
Well my boat is now out of the water and the prop is quite badly fouled. We had lost at least 2 knots off top speed and were having to use diesel by the ton to get anywhere by the end of the season, so the question is what to do next year!

A couple of weeks ago I was reading a post about covering the prop with Lanolin and someone mentioned that their boat was coming out of the water soon and they would report on how clean the prop was.

There was also a mention of using a blow torch to apply the lanolin evenly.

So... Does lanolin work and how do I go aboul applying the stuff...

Many thanks

David

dickh

Visit site
I would also like to know the answer, I intend to use Lanolin next year. Antifouled or highly polished does not seem to work in my case.
BUT where do you get Lanolin?? It was suggested one tried the local chemist, but mine only laughed and said he hadn't seen it for years and didn't know where to get any! (he's reeeeealy helpful...)
Tried a google search yesterday and found three companies that sell it but only apparently in large quantities and trade only; AND there seems to a proliferation of different sorts - so which should one use and which sort. But did find 'Hoof Oil' (for horses) which contained it but no further info.

dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :)

ccscott49

Visit site
You should be able to get lanolin from any riggers, they should and a lot do lubricate bottle screws with it. Lanocoat, is a common name for it.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re: Lanolin on Props - The Results

I posted the original. The boat came out a couple of weeks ago having been in from Easter. There were a couple of small barnacles and that was all.

Having tried vasleine the previous year - (a fine carpet of green hair) and before that some left over Hard Racing TBTs' (naughty) which all came off rapidly and ended up covered in weed and barnacles.

Process:
Polish the prop as well as you can, I think the more you put into it the better will be the results.
Apply Lanolin in lumps and smooth out using a blow torch until you get a good smooth covering all over.

Lanoline is available from any chemist - they may need to order it.

Lanolin is also the best grease for things like shackles as a normal petrolium based grease goes hard as the lighter fractions evaporate.

Davydine

Visit site
Re: Lanolin on Props - The Results

Thanks for the info. After asking in several chemists managed to get a tubb in Boots so will give it a go next season.

Thanks again

JerryHawkins

Visit site
Check that...

Make sure you didn't cut & paste the last full stop (after the .com). If your URL ended up with ".com." then you get a "Site not found" error!

Cheers,

Jerry

mdrifter

Visit site
"Raw" lanolin does not appear so easy to buy in UK or even within EC unless the small tubs from Boots (lanolin bp) suffice at a couple of quid. Even Henley Prop Protector was about £12 for .5kg. Why don't you really go for it and do a "google" on "lanolin" to discover a quantity source in Mumbai! I kid you not. They will send you a 5kg tub which will last you for some years to use on more than your prop, say, between skeg and rudder, or for coating those other bits exposed to salt spray. This stuff is really good but smells pretty awful. About £30 which is half the price of Henley's.

ponapay

Visit site
Boot sell it - calld Anhydrous Lanolin - it come is a large pot and is excellent for many yottie uses.

Its very good for coating galvanised rigging, keeps it supple and rust free for years - much better than SS.

parkerd1

Visit site
Lanolin (also known as wool fat) is available from most chemists. Although not a general stock item they should be able to obtain it from their wholesalers. J.M.Loveridge plc of Southbrook Rd. Southampton manufacture the product in 500G pots.