Lanolin grease

MJWB

Visit site
Anyone tried lanolin grease such as Lanoshield (I've seen advertised but not used) for protecting prop and shaft to reduce fouling? Any good or don't bother?

davidmh

Visit site
I have used it for many years on a 20 hp yacht. I find it works as well as anything else, not perfect but what is? I scrape off any muck and wet abrade the prop with 180 grit. I then gently heat the prop with a heat gun until it is hot enough to just melt the lanolin. With rubber gloves on I trowel the lanolin on the prop and gently use the heat gun again and rub the lanolin well in by hand. It is very sticky and it is difficult to wash off your hands even with soap and hot water.
David MH

smert

Visit site
I tried it last year after I found a tub in a locker. It's a bit smelly and a faff to use. There were a few worm casts on the prop and some slime, but nothing too bad. Although the whole boat was pretty much clear of fouling anyway despite having been sat still for most of the second half of last year.

I don't think I'm going to use it again this year.

ash2020

Visit site
I used it for sail slides in the mast track. After a season it was a horrible black mess which stained the sail wherever it touched. Horrible stuff. And now I'm vegan I certainly won't use it.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
It's grease from wool; no animals are harmed in its production.

Committed vegans decline to use any product that has come from an animal regardless of whether or not the animal was harmed in its production. So no wool, no lanolin, and no horny helmets even if the previous antler sporting stag littered a hillside when it discarded them. Feather dusters and proper badminton shuttlecocks are out too.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Committed vegans decline to use any product that has come from an animal regardless of whether or not the animal was harmed in its production. So no wool, no lanolin, and no horny helmets even if the previous antler sporting stag littered a hillside when it discarded them. Feather dusters and proper badminton shuttlecocks are out too.

Even committed vegans seem to be prepared to compromise if it suits them, some years ago before photography went digital I pointed out to one student who was heavily into veganism, that perhaps photography and his wish to be a film cameraman were. at odds with his vegan stance as one of the primary constituents of photographic film is gelatine ( made from ‘melted’ down cows) he decided his ambition was more important than his vegan principles.
Back to the thread, I have tried lanolin grease and still have some on board but it doesn’t seem any better than the alternatives.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
I used it for many years before discovering that I could waste even more money by trying to paint the prop each year. It has the merit of being harmless, probably delays fouling for a few weeks, which could be useful. And it smells rather nice.

oilybilge

Visit site
Same here. Used to slather it on my prop before launching, but last year I forgot. Didn't notice any difference.

I do use it on my engine though.