Lack of use

Viscount

Visit site
Now retired (almost) but due to recent work commitments I haven't used boat in a year. Hoping to get out very soon. Engines and drives were serviced a year ago along with antifouling and anodes. Is there anything beyond testing on pontoon and then outer harbour runs I should be doing before venturing out in the the firth of Clyde? Batteries are on trickle charge, extinguishers still show green. Life jackets are fine. Question is really more around the boat's functioning but pleased to receive all thoughts.

Firefly625

Visit site
Now retired (almost) but due to recent work commitments I haven't used boat in a year. Hoping to get out very soon. Engines and drives were serviced a year ago along with antifouling and anodes. Is there anything beyond testing on pontoon and then outer harbour runs I should be doing before venturing out in the the firth of Clyde? Batteries are on trickle charge, extinguishers still show green. Life jackets are fine. Question is really more around the boat's functioning but pleased to receive all thoughts.

after a year sitting I would have thought she would have here own eco system growing off her... she's not going to perform great, we expect a post next week saying she only managed 13knots when normally she does 26...should I buy new props or get her re-engined..? ;)

only joking, have fun! just run engines in gear, get up to temp before venturing out, all things being equal she should be fine... but maybe sluggish!.

kashurst

Visit site
Check all your fluid levels and have a look at your fuel filters incase of diesel bug development.
as you say, fire it all back up carefully, gently test in marina, if everything ok out onto the clyde on a nice day on a rising tide/ slack water, just in case, and progressively wind everything up to speed whilst checking for leaks etc. say 8Knts, check, 12 knts check , onto plane check, 20knts check, just keep close eye on temps and oil pressures. Any funny noises/smells smoke, back off check again
It might be a bit fouled after a year standing still so don't expect max revs/speed. Good luck

Viscount

Visit site
Thanks guys. Will see how it goes; the weather forecasts here are all over the place but hoping to get out at least into the Clyde. Much appreciated.

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
I have much experience in the lack of use dept due to Illness.
I always find something has given up, so test everything in marina, inc bogs etc.
Good news is its always been something minor, if inconvenient when you find it, which is of course just when you need it, which is how you found it. :ambivalence:

oldgit

Visit site
would try to do all the engine tests as lose as possible to home.
Good stress test is to try each engine on its own in turn at WOT for decent burst , this should provoke any latent overheat problems into appearing .

Viscount

Visit site
It went remarkably well. Took it very easy after pre-start checks. Warmed up in the outer harbour and then out to sea. Onto the plane no bother. No a lot of smoke on start-up either. Made it to Lamlash (from Troon) in about 45 minutes; sea was quite lumpy so engines go a reasonable test. Only issue was unbalance fuel burn but turned out the engineers had altered the fuel cocks. Thanks for all input.