Knots for a modified jorda series drogue

fisherman

Visit site
When I lost my steering I trailed a round fender (buff, dahn, blaw or bladder depending which port you come from) about 18in dia, off the end of the landing derrick which was swung out to stbd as the boat naturally screws to port, I hauled it in and out at the stern. The drag from a round section is considerable, (try it one day, but don't try to hang on to it in hand) it naturally grips the water. If it didn't I would hang the anchor chain off it.
Often wonder if this would do the job of a drogue, but maybe it won't work at the speed of drifting rather than motoring 4/5kts as I was.
Doubles up as fender of course. Also been used to break out and lift an anchor, by letting it run along the rode and motoring away to get a vertical lift.

stav

Visit site
In fact, thimbles, and specifically cable thimbles, are NOT suggested in JSDs. The reason is that at high load they are known to rotate and chafe the line. Sailmaker's or closed thimbles are recommended on the bridle, and the rest of the rode should connect using luggage tags (interlocked splices). No knots, since they weaken the rope critically and have failed in actual service (Google "Goodall" and Clipper").

Cable thimbles are best reserved for steel cable, for which they were designed. I've seen many cases of cable thimbles shifting and causing harm.

[This image is from a well-spliced JSD bridle]

Bridle-to-Drouge-Leader.jpg
They are some interesting pictures, I had been concerned about the thimble moving and chaffing. I think I will still use thimbles (cannot find suitable sized round but did find a closed thimble but at £30 each perhaps not. The double fishermans loop does tighten on to the thimble and I might add a 'whipping' to help hold the thimble in place........ Have a good weekend. M.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
They are some interesting pictures, I had been concerned about the thimble moving and chaffing. I think I will still use thimbles (cannot find suitable sized round but did find a closed thimble but at £30 each perhaps not. The double fishermans loop does tighten on to the thimble and I might add a 'whipping' to help hold the thimble in place........ Have a good weekend. M.

Try searching "tube thimble."

An article on the knot failure. Suzie Goodall's Drogue Failure

You are using second hand line. A knot. A cable thimble. As a result, it will work right up until the waves are bad enough that you need it, and then it will fail.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I would recommend that you take out a subscription for one year at Attainable Adventure Cruising (ACC) Also called Morgans Cloud

Read everything they have on Jordan Series Drogue. ACC make excellent analysis and recommendations and the JSD has been covered by them over the years, including recent issues such as Suzi Goodall and recent experiences of frayed cones and using old sail material et cetera. They keep a wathching brief on many aspects and update their articles. Worth every penny.

I have no association with them, just a subscriber.

Poey50

Visit site
I would recommend that you take out a subscription for one year at Attainable Adventure Cruising (ACC) Also called Morgans Cloud

Read everything they have on Jordan Series Drogue. ACC make excellent analysis and recommendations and the JSD has been covered by them over the years, including recent issues such as Suzi Goodall and recent experiences of frayed cones and using old sail material et cetera. They keep a wathching brief on many aspects and update their articles. Worth every penny.

I have no association with them, just a subscriber.

Yes, I completely agree. I found it the best source for constructing my JSD.