knackered ropes

chrisclin

Visit site
Having foolishly taken the panels advice, I put my manky sheets and halyards into the washing machine at the coolest and delicate wash with some fabric conditioner. I did them one at a time in an old duvet cover.
Unfortunately, half of them have come out with various places where the inner rope has come through the braiding. I thought it might be that the braiding and core had expanded/shrunk at different rates, but in each case they were OK at each end.
While I have bought replacements, my stingy inner self refuses to throw the old ones away. Is there a way to repair these ropes?

sailorman

Visit site
Sorry, don't follow you. Are you suggesting cutting the ropes at each point and then rejoining them with a knot?

i bung mine in on a 30 deg wash, even rope to wire spliced halliards ( only one of those in use now,as a spare genny ) no other protection, high water level job done.
your outer braid must have been damaged or worn thin

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
While I have bought replacements, my stingy inner self refuses to throw the old ones away. Is there a way to repair these ropes?

You could try 'milking' the cover back over the core.
If the cover is damaged there's not much you can do with it except strip the cover off and just use the core for lesser tasks. Lengths of cover can be used for tie downs etc.

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
Having foolishly taken the panels advice,

A bit harsh?

I put my manky sheets and halyards into the washing machine at the coolest and delicate wash with some fabric conditioner. I did them one at a time in an old duvet cover.

So far, so good. :)

Unfortunately, half of them have come out with various places where the inner rope has come through the braiding. I thought it might be that the braiding and core had expanded/shrunk at different rates, but in each case they were OK at each end.

What you are saying on so many words were that your ropes were totally knackered even before you started and you were being very hopeful that a wash would breath life into useless ropes?

Nope. Use parts of any good bits as fender ropes. :(

chrisclin

Visit site
OK, fair cop. I was rather hoping to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
While I can't say I examined every inch of every rope before washing them, I did have a look at them and no particular weakness stood out. However, they were a bit dirty. Maybe it should be a lesson that ropes do need very close examination. The worrying thing is that two of the ropes that had deteriorated were used when I was hoisted up the mast in the autumn - the main halyard as the lifting medium, and the jib halyard as the safety strop!
Thanks for everyone's comments.

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
What happens if you fix one end to a strong point and then tension the rope with winch?
Will the core pop back into the braid?
Or perhaps it could be worked back in by manipulating the braid?
Perhaps worth a try.
if successful, the rope would then have more uses even though it load carrying capacity is likely to be a lot less than when it was new.

Stemar

Visit site
The worrying thing is that two of the ropes that had deteriorated were used when I was hoisted up the mast in the autumn - the main halyard as the lifting medium, and the jib halyard as the safety strop!

I'd take comfort from that. It demonstrates that even a knackered rope has plenty of strength left. One advantage of braided rope is that the strength is nearly all in the core and the wear nearly all to the sheath. A braided rope will stand up to washing if the sheath isn't damaged. If the washing machine damaged your lines, they were pretty much due for replacement anyway - personally, I'd rather replace my lines (just) before they start to lose strength than when they've failed, cos that will only ever happen at the wrong time