Kiwi ship loss

capnsensible

Visit site
I think it's highly relevant. This is a Naval Vessel. Hydrographic Surveys. Diving salvage, yadda yadda. It should definitely not be an accident waiting to happen.

Happily all the crew are off. There is a captain, however, who is due a stand up interview, no biscuits.

Wansworth

Visit site
I think it's highly relevant. This is a Naval Vessel. Hydrographic Surveys. Diving salvage, yadda yadda. It should definitely not be an accident waiting to happen.

Happily all the crew are off. There is a captain, however, who is due a stand up interview, no biscuits.
Is “no biscuits” a navy term for what?

capnsensible

Visit site
Dunno how to link it, but if you type in Navy lookout twitter, there are some pictures. The site is safe and you don't need to be a twitter user.

DreadShips

Visit site
Iran managed to sink the same ship TWICE in harbour recently during refit. Dark mutterings that they'd added more top weight to a design already plagued with dubious stability, although it's equally possible a seacock was open. Its sister ship managed to capsize during construction.

By those standards, crashing into the seabed feature you were mapping is positively quotidian.

(I write about these sorts of things elsewhere - my considered take is we don't really know enough about what happened yet to condemn anyone, though I dare say some of the obvious suspicions will prove correct)

capnsensible

Visit site
Iran managed to sink the same ship TWICE in harbour recently during refit. Dark mutterings that they'd added more top weight to a design already plagued with dubious stability, although it's equally possible a seacock was open. Its sister ship managed to capsize during construction.

By those standards, crashing into the seabed feature you were mapping is positively quotidian.

(I write about these sorts of things elsewhere - my considered take is we don't really know enough about what happened yet to condemn anyone, though I dare say some of the obvious suspicions will prove correct)
An alien Ray gun disabled the vessels air conditioning systems and all the crew fainted.

Not sure that happens daily though. Yeah I looked up quotidian as the word of the day..

It has left me somewhat interperitoctaically frasmotic. :)

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk

Nothing new under the sun - the Wasa sank on its maiden voyage, being horrendously top-heavy and unstable!

Frank Holden

Visit site

Bouba

Visit site

The captain is gaining some powerful allies….she might just get interviewed sitting down and offered some custard creams
New Zealand minister criticises trolling of sunk ship's female captain

arc1

Visit site
The captain is gaining some powerful allies….she might just get interviewed sitting down and offered some custard creams
New Zealand minister criticises trolling of sunk ship's female captain
The minister has a very good point. Some of the stuff written about the CO online is truly appalling - absolutely derogatory on a very personal level, without any knowledge of the events leading up to the sinking. The CO has not only gone through what must count as a fairly challenging day at work, but now has to try and avoid seeing some of the vitriol written about her, her relationships, and belittling any achievements in reaching the position she has.
An investigation is underway. If this uncovers professional failings then fair enough, criticise away on those grounds (whilst, if a sailor, hoping that mistakes we've made don't lead to a hole in the boat).
A longer post than I would normally write but I'm continuously amazed at the number of people (thankfully they don't appear to be commenting on this thread) willing to jump to conclusions based on personal prejudice without being in possession of the full, or any, facts.