kite flying as a means of propulsion

G

any ideas on this one, I'm sure it has been done before, nothing is new in this world.

jamesjermain

Visit site
It has been used on one-way-only speed machines and there is currently a craze for it amung windsurfers who can actually lift off and fly for some distance under them in the right condition.They seem to be able to control them pretty well up wind and down.
It looks huge fun but I have heard there have been some nasty accidents with the lines (wires) cutting other water users.
As far as I am aware, there have been no serious attempts at making a kite the principle power source for a cruising boat...but I am sure the Amateur Yacht Research Society would tell me different.

JJ

G

Re: PS - Kite surfers are, of course, quite mad. nm.

yes I think we all have a bit of madness in us, thanks for your reply
John

G

James is right
There used to be, if I remember right, a tornado catamaran converted to kite power that used to run at Weymouth Speed trials in the 70's 80's - it was called Jacobs Ladder.
Then they put hydrofoils on it !!!
There are also Landyachts converted to kite power that I've seen in France, and one lunatic on a skateboard in a car park in La Rochelle
So there must be a yacht somewhere.........

G

There was a picture in the yachting press...

JJ,
Wasn't there a Frenchwoman, pictured in YM if my memory serves me, attempting an Atlantic crossing using a kite to pull her across. This was 3-5 yrs ago.

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

chrisc

Visit site
what advantage

What advantage if any could one obtain by using kites rather than sails ?
i guess you would get a better wind on those still days. Can you get as close to
the wind with a kite as with a sail ?Should I take this big pole down from my boat
and invest in some light bamboo and silk?re-position winches?

janie

Visit site
Interesting article

I found this National Geographic article on the possible use of kites to raise the neolithic stones very interesting -http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/06/0628_caltechobelisk.html

G

Think of the possibilities!

Even if you could only go down wind 30,000 feet of Control wire would get you into the jet stream fancy crossing the Atlantic or Pacific at 100 knots. Your biggest problem would be stopping. That is unless you caught a jumbo going the other way you would end up we started. Which produces a never thought how about a large net to hook up an aircraft going in the direction you want to go up and passage making at 600 Knots. Well it is a boring afternoon.

:)-{)>

ChrisJ

Visit site
Re: Think of the possibilities!

With the kits above you, are you on Starboard or port?
Does a kite count as "sailing", and so you still have right of way? What about meeting another sailing boat? Who should give way?

And the really tricky one is what happens when 2 kites get tangled up - who gets right of way then. Or is it the normal rules "my kite is bigger than your kite so I don't care if you have right of way!!"

Chris

alant

Visit site
Some years ago, there was a "fast"boat sailing out of Keyhaven, called Jacobs Ladder. Self explanatory- had a hoist of multiple kites. Understand it was designed for the speed trials at Weymouth.