KAD42 non OEM belts part number list.

Mr Googler

Visit site
I wanted a full set of spare belts so I’ve been googling!

Volvo price for one complete set of belts is £120 inc Vat and delivery

I have found the following non oem info

OEM 966967 Water pump: 2 x 6218ESC Gates £15.98 for the pair

OEM 860388 Compressor: Dayco 6pk1200 £8.79 (volvo is £41!)

OEM 977542 Alternator: 6469MC Gates £8.05

OEM 973487 Power Steering: 6375MC Gates £6.92

Grand total: £39.74 inc vat and delivery.

Are they as good as oem....no idea but this is a spare set which will get me home plus I can buy 3 sets for the price of one.

Hope the info helps others

simonfraser

Visit site
if they are as robust then ok.

but if one goes and you're hanging upside down with the boat rolling about fitting a new one you might have wished you'd bought a Volvo belt ...

Momac

Visit site
I am sure there are alternatives that are the correct size but whether they are the correct construction is possibly debatable.
I have only used genuine VP belts and not had an issue in 10 years . The belts are long lasting with the present set in use 4 years and not showing any sign of a problem .
I do use alternative filters and oil but I have not tried alternative belts.

jon and michie

Visit site
The only thing I will say is that volvo will more than likely get a belt manufacturer to make the belts and brand them with the volvo logo.

For example
Ford used a company called veng to manufacture body panels for them.

Problem is you need to know which belt maker they use

alt

Visit site
I was using Gates belts for a while (compressor / circulation) - I found that after as little as 5 hours they started squeaking.... thought it was something wrong with the pulleys etc. for quite some time. Forked out for genuine Volvo belts, and didn't have a single squeak all season.

Power Steering / Alternator - I'll use non OEM
Compressor / Circulation - I'll use OEM

PS. I tend to loosen the belts when the boat is laid up for the winter... can't do any harm to release the tension from the pulleys.

Mr Googler

Visit site

Boat2016

Visit site
https://ww2.gates.com/europe/brochure.cfm?brochure=5168&location_id=5275

Well, Gates say they are OE supplier to various automotive companies including Volvo.

They say Volvo not Volvo Penta, two separate companies.

It does surprise me that one of these belts fitted to a car often goes 50k before listed to change but on a boat it does far less before new one required.

Gates quite likely do make the genuine belts and to a spec set out by VP so might not be same as others sold.

Mr Googler

Visit site
They say Volvo not Volvo Penta, two separate companies. .

Are you sure?

https://www.volvopenta.com/brand/en-en/this-is-volvo-penta/about-us/part-of-volvo-group.html

Mind you....it’s a mahoosive firm! Take your point on the belt spec however, I’d hope that when you are buying oem equivalent from the belt maker (allegedly) it would be up to task.

Agreed on the car vs boat lifespan. Pulley corrosion is the obvious one. A can of belt up is cheap enough :encouragement:

Boat2016

Visit site
Are you sure?

https://www.volvopenta.com/brand/en-en/this-is-volvo-penta/about-us/part-of-volvo-group.html

Mind you....it’s a mahoosive firm! Take your point on the belt spec however, I’d hope that when you are buying oem equivalent from the belt maker (allegedly) it would be up to task.

Agreed on the car vs boat lifespan. Pulley corrosion is the obvious one. A can of belt up is cheap enough :encouragement:

Was only going by what I was once told, that they had spilt with one of the ownership changes Volvo went through, doesn’t look like it was true.

I suppose cars don’t suffer pulley corrosion as much as they don’t sit idle long enough and there’s no salt in the air. A few I have looked at have gone to plastic pulleys which eliminates that issue.

scottie

Visit site
Two minor points
If it’s not the same part number then it’s not the same item in the past where the item is first used by Volvo group will determine the starting numbers of parts Penta used 8xxxxxx and then 38xxxxxx
Multiple belts are matched (all belts are to a tolerance but multiples are also selected to finer tolerance) and the set will have partnumber 8xxxxxxZ but the individual belts will have 8xxxxxxY

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I wanted a full set of spare belts so I’ve been googling!

Volvo price for one complete set of belts is £120 inc Vat and delivery

I have found the following non oem info

OEM 966967 Water pump: 2 x 6218ESC Gates £15.98 for the pair

OEM 860388 Compressor: Dayco 6pk1200 £8.79 (volvo is £41!)

OEM 977542 Alternator: 6469MC Gates £8.05

OEM 973487 Power Steering: 6375MC Gates £6.92

Grand total: £39.74 inc vat and delivery.

Are they as good as oem....no idea but this is a spare set which will get me home plus I can buy 3 sets for the price of one.

Hope the info helps others

I remember some years back a customer insisting I fit his non genuine belts , about 2 months after he called me to say his engine had overheated so I went to look , the main drive belt had stretched like a woman in childbirth and sadly had popped his head gasket, the after market belts do givevoff more dust , in his case he didn’t save a penny .

Mr Googler

Visit site
I remember some years back a customer insisting I fit his non genuine belts , about 2 months after he called me to say his engine had overheated so I went to look , the main drive belt had stretched like a woman in childbirth and sadly had popped his head gasket, the after market belts do givevoff more dust , in his case he didn’t save a penny .

Thanks Paul. I’ll have aftermarket for a spare....get me home set and use genuine for normal running :encouragement: