Kad 32 inlet manifold "Big Bolts"

Visit site
Thanks for your reply, I cant see how the end of the glow plug gets into the cylinder head?
would i be able to measure the turbo charge pressure at one of those holes if i removed the plug?

Visit site
Hi Steve, no 6 is the most difficult one to get at, it has the old (possibly duff sender in it) and is in the middle of the diesel pipes as well, would it still work if i use one of the other easier plugs, ie; the one next to 6?

Peanuts

Visit site
Not sure what you mean when you say the one next to number 6, I removed the plug that is not a problem to get at on the inlet manifold on a KAD32, there were no pipes in the way, straight on with a socket. There were no senders or anything like that.

Visit site
referring to the diagram posted by steve dunstable, number 6 already has the charge pressure sender in/on it, so it would need an open end spanner from the side, also the black box containing all the electrics is in the way, the others are as you say are straight on to the top with a socket 22mm or thereabouts, to remove one of them would make the job easier, but i am not sure if the pressure would be the same at any of the holes or if I have to measure only at no 6?

Peanuts

Visit site
"number 6 already has the charge pressure sender in/on it"

Not on the ones I have seen, they have just been blanking caps. So do you have a gauge to show the manifold pressure? As mentioned above, any blank on the manifold will do, just go for one that you can get at.

Visit site
Well it all worked fine and the temporary pressure gauge reads the same as the Volvo one on the dash, so having ruled out faulty sender I have established that my boost pressure at 3400 rpm is 16 psi, and there is no movement on the gauge below 2400 rpm, i believe that we should have 22-24 psi at that revs? the engine does not smoke under load and has only done 560 hours, I removed the air cleaner and found that there is some movement on the shaft of the turbo maybe 0.75 mm of play, what do you think fellas? any input welcome, Bill

targa31

Visit site
Hi, presume you have checked for air leaks? I had a leak on my kad42 from a sheared bolt on the air cooler. You could feel the air escaping. Simple to fix though.

Beamishken

Visit site
Shouldn't the supercharger boost at low rpm & turbo at high rpm?
As you have zero pressure at low rpm then id be looking at supercharger
The small amount of lift in the turbo shouldnt cause a problem

Other threads that may be of interest