Just to really anoy my UK friends

William_H

Visit site
Had a first this morning. Took a group out on a J24 for a first sailing lesson. At 10 AM the decks, a dull grey non skid were too hot to sit on. We had to bucket water onto the decks and seats to cool them down. Those with thin cotton trousers and the ladies with short shorts on found it too hot to sit down. Not much wind and the sun beat down mercilessly. Am I getting any sympathy??? Max temps have been mostly over 35 for the last couple of months I am ready for a cool change. still no sympathy??? olewill

Avocet

Visit site
Grrrr!

I'm away from home just now. Had a nice walk along the North pier at Tynemouth, near Newcastle yesterday. Prettty spot. First temperatures in the low teens this year - just touched 13 degrees in the "heat of the day". Mind you, it felt rather colder in the wind!

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
No sympathy from me either. I spent 10 years in a hot sunny country but much prefer it here.

Given the choice between going south and going north this summer , we are heading North.

Besides, we have so much more to offer..... Decent beer, a proper cricket team........the list is endless.:):)

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Only 27*c today in Cairns, plenty of cloud and showers, but not 'orrible' cold wet stuff, we mostly get warm rain here, you can spot the tourists, they are the ones running for cover.

Hay Will I think I read somewhere that this might be one of your hottest seasons on record.

No doubt the punters had a top day, did you sail the Swan river or head out of Fremantle?

Good luck.:)

30boat

N/A
Visit site
We're having an early summer here in the Algarve.Went for a short sail three days ago and it was one of the best ever.35º is too hot for me,unfortunately I'll get plenty of that in a few months.I think I'll start moving to the UK for the Summer a few years from now.

beyondtheblue

Visit site
Had a first this morning. Took a group out on a J24 for a first sailing lesson. At 10 AM the decks, a dull grey non skid were too hot to sit on. We had to bucket water onto the decks and seats to cool them down. Those with thin cotton trousers and the ladies with short shorts on found it too hot to sit down. Not much wind and the sun beat down mercilessly. Am I getting any sympathy??? Max temps have been mostly over 35 for the last couple of months I am ready for a cool change. still no sympathy??? olewill

No sympathy. Where's the pleasure in having to put up with all that malarky.

Visit site

You got lots of sympathy when you were standing on your house roof surrounded by water ( and snakes and spiders and flies). And you get even more sympathy when we think of Aussie beer. :D :D :D And [I didnt even mention cricket!

Personally, I dont know which I like least - 35C or 0 C. Probably 35C on the basis that once you are down to bare skin there is nothing left to remove to cool you down. On the other hand you can always add more layers to keep warm. Which I guess is why I have had bad sunburn but never frostbite

P.S. Does your prime minister sounds as appallingly dreary to you as to us, or is it just that we arent really use to a heavy ozzie accent. She even makes Ian Paisley sound cheerful

Bilgediver

Visit site

I wouldn t have minded seeing young ladies in shorts having to stand on deck all the way to Rottnest Island.....Better you had a couple of tinnies at the yacht club on your return...Give my regards to George the wandering scotsman if you know hime,,,,,EFYC!

Visit site
P.S. Does your prime minister sounds as appallingly dreary to you as to us, or is it just that we arent really use to a heavy ozzie accent. She even makes Ian Paisley sound cheerful

She was born over here in South Wales and moved to Oz as a youngster. At best/worst it's a Welsh/Ozzie accent.

rhumlady

Visit site
I got fed up with the cold and went to Jamaica for 2 weeks at the begining of February. A balmy 28c most of the time and a nice drop of warm rain in the late afternoon. The rum was good too as was the Hobby cat sailing .

Main Event

Visit site
Enjoy the sunshine now that the floods have abated.....should dry things out nicely!!!!

SHUG, Olewill lives in Perth, WA, which is diametrically opposite the floods in Queensland, in the North East of Oz.

3ra0p2

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com

Your sea is teeming with things which will kill you as soon as look at you. Your land is crawling with things that will kill you as soon as look at you. Your country is being simultaneously devastated by drought, cyclones and apocalyptic flooding. And on top of that it seems it's too hot to sail in comfort.

You have my sympathy.

Last edited:

ytd

Visit site
have to agree about the PM's accent, In parliament debating she sounds ok but in front of a camera she adopts this nauseating 'announcement' voice like she's announcing flight times. I do have a suspicion that her accent has been getting broader in the last few years, possibly for electoral appeal

Other threads that may be of interest