Just to really anoy my UK friends

SHUG

Visit site
SHUG, Olewill lives in Perth, WA, which is diametrically opposite the floods in Queensland, in the North East of Oz.

3ra0p2

Thanks cobber.Must have had the frigging chart upside down. Must stop doing that!!!

BobPrell

Visit site
I never cease to be amazed at the way some North Hemisphere peeps think hot weather is wonderful. During the recent North Queensland cyclones quite a number of backpackers from Europe and North America had to be evacuated. They were there at the absolute worst time of the year, I should know because I was born there and lived there for my first 20 years.

I have lived since in south Queensland, the climate is only bloody awful 6 months of the year instead of 11. To my taste.

A few weeks back I went sailing in the club races. They are held from 1100 to 1500, the worst time for UV radiation. The flood rains must have washed all the protective dust out of the air, I got burnt badly in spite of protective screens and clothing.

In our local wooden boat association, there is a nice english chap, he immigrated in 1955 who never ceases to tell us how lucky we are with our beautiful sunny warm climate. He has a fair almost albino complexion, when we are out he sweats profusely, his skin flushes, in short he looks as if he will drop dead of heat stroke any second, but he just loves it.

I was Wikipeading about New Zealand's disasters, earthquakes and mining have been their killers in the past.

Mining the same for Oz, but since european settlement there have been several heat-waves which caused scores of deaths.

William_H

Visit site
Hot weather

On news this morning we have had a record 16 consecutive days where minimum did not go below 20 degrees. I tell my self I should be glad and enjoy it all and be grateful. But a bit cooler would be nice.
Re our Prime Minister. I suppose she mostly gets an airing on UK TV when talking about disasters. So is inevitably mournful. For me it is just politics. I tolerate politics as a necessity. Other places in the world can be a lot worse. So I am grateful for that.
Anyway back to sailing. A nice race yesterday as sea breeze did come up first for many days. Still drunk a lot of water. best wishes to you all olewill

David52

The far side of the world, making hay as the sun s
Visit site
No Sympathy from me, it's been raining here since last Thursday, basically without stopping until this morning. And once the rain goes, it'll be too hot to sit down!

Have to say tho, apart from the wet season antics, the Northern Coast of Queensland is about one of the best places to sail. For 6 months of the year there is generally a consistent wind from the trades, very few storms or extremes. Beautiful anchorages, fantastic coral reefs, and the Whitsundays are a sailors playground.

It really does beat the hell out of being stuck in Port Solent in August waiting for the force 8 to abate to a 6 with rain and get to Cherbourg before work starts in a week!!

The pubs I miss, the beer too... But the sailing... buy a sun hat..

All the best..
GB

oldsaltoz

Visit site
No Sympathy from me, it's been raining here since last Thursday, basically without stopping until this morning. And once the rain goes, it'll be too hot to sit down!

Have to say tho, apart from the wet season antics, the Northern Coast of Queensland is about one of the best places to sail. For 6 months of the year there is generally a consistent wind from the trades, very few storms or extremes. Beautiful anchorages, fantastic coral reefs, and the Whitsundays are a sailors playground.

It really does beat the hell out of being stuck in Port Solent in August waiting for the force 8 to abate to a 6 with rain and get to Cherbourg before work starts in a week!!

The pubs I miss, the beer too... But the sailing... buy a sun hat..

All the best..
GB

Good to see we have yet another visitor/convert, welcome aboard, enjoy.

So you miss the pubs, no wonder, you should be on Bundy rum by now.:eek:

Good luck and fair winds.:)

Alfie168

Visit site
I never cease to be amazed at the way some North Hemisphere peeps think hot weather is wonderful. During the recent North Queensland cyclones quite a number of backpackers from Europe and North America had to be evacuated. They were there at the absolute worst time of the year, I should know because I was born there and lived there for my first 20 years.

I have lived since in south Queensland, the climate is only bloody awful 6 months of the year instead of 11. To my taste.

A few weeks back I went sailing in the club races. They are held from 1100 to 1500, the worst time for UV radiation. The flood rains must have washed all the protective dust out of the air, I got burnt badly in spite of protective screens and clothing.

In our local wooden boat association, there is a nice english chap, he immigrated in 1955 who never ceases to tell us how lucky we are with our beautiful sunny warm climate. He has a fair almost albino complexion, when we are out he sweats profusely, his skin flushes, in short he looks as if he will drop dead of heat stroke any second, but he just loves it.

I was Wikipeading about New Zealand's disasters, earthquakes and mining have been their killers in the past.

Mining the same for Oz, but since european settlement there have been several heat-waves which caused scores of deaths.

So its true then, Only Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun. We have been suffering the winter blues here, and as if to wind us up, we had one pleasant day last week that was almost warm, when the sun came out for the first time in two weeks. We'd had wall to wall grey.

We just want a bit of warmth please. I do confess seeing pink Brits overdoing it (and their children) in the Med. does offend me some. Don't care if they cook themselves to a frazzle, but knowing what we know now about skin cancer and melanomas, letting the kids fry is just pig ignorant.

Tim