Just an idea you might like to have

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Some thing I sure most of us have through off in the past is the fact that went we are anchored and our dinghy ashore it leave us open not only to having our dinghy stolen but also every one know we not on board , so I came up with this .
When we not free swinging but tied to rock walls what ever I use some thin line and make a long loop , the line goes through a pulley on the boat and then tied both ends to the dinghy , once ashore I then pull on the rope moving the dinghy back to the back of the boat , this way not only the dinghy away from the shore less chance it being Nick , it also give people the impression we on board .
Went you return , just pull on the line and the dinghy returns back
It also help from the dinghy being damage from rubbing on rock or wall or having to lift it on the beach .

Hope it some help to our friends our there .

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
But what happens if a bit of wind or swell gets up and the dinghy pulls against the thin line and it breaks?

Bye-bye dinghy and a swim back to the boat ......... but at least the water's warm! :)

Hope you are enjoying Turkey. :D

Richard

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Well went I say thin like I don't mean that thin six more 8 mm , the only thing you need to what out for is it don't get wake around the mooring lines or you will have to swin out to untangle it ,

grumpygit

Visit site
Some thing I sure most of us have through off in the past is the fact that went we are anchored and our dinghy ashore it leave us open not only to having our dinghy stolen but also every one know we not on board , so I came up with this .
When we not free swinging but tied to rock walls what ever I use some thin line and make a long loop , the line goes through a pulley on the boat and then tied both ends to the dinghy , once ashore I then pull on the rope moving the dinghy back to the back of the boat , this way not only the dinghy away from the shore less chance it being Nick , it also give people the impression we on board .
Went you return , just pull on the line and the dinghy returns back
It also help from the dinghy being damage from rubbing on rock or wall or having to lift it on the beach .

Hope it some help to our friends our there .

Well I will give you a positive +1 for ingenuity but I doubt I would bother as with having a guard dog on board.

Visit site
Well I will give you a positive +1 for ingenuity but I doubt I would bother as with having a guard dog on board.

That system is very common in this part of the world. You can see it, for instance, on the promenade in Olhão used by the fishermen but there is no passing traffic. I think that there could be problems if used in an area where people are not aware of it.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
That system is very common in this part of the world. You can see it, for instance, on the promenade in Olhão used by the fishermen but there is no passing traffic. I think that there could be problems if used in an area where people are not aware of it.

Some how I don't think some have grasps this idea ,
Any passing traffic would first have to get pass the mooring lines although it not the first time we seen some ass drive into mooring lines and having his head nearly chopped off .
Like all ideas there always a minus , ( well with my ideas any way ) two problem , one if the lines get snag onto a rock under water and two if the dinghy somehow get blown over the mooring lines the boat end it might get tangle up , but then it be a good excuse for a mid night skinny dip to work off the food you just had .
Off cause you could just have a bungee band connect to the boat and once a shore the dinghy will shot back to the boat it getting it back could be the problem .
Any way I got a nice compliment from the French boat next to me " you British are great engineers and inventor " still not sure if he was taking the piss :)

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Any way I got a nice compliment from the French boat next to me " you British are great engineers and inventor " still not sure if he was taking the piss :)

If that was yesterday, 18th June, he was deffo taking the pee 'cos he's probably still pee'd off about Waterloo. Even after 200 years, most Frenchies are. :)

They don't like it up 'em. (or was that the Germans?)

Richard

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
If that was yesterday, 18th June, he was deffo taking the pee 'cos he's probably still pee'd off about Waterloo. Even after 200 years, most Frenchies are. :)

They don't like it up 'em. (or was that the Germans?)

Richard

If you're quoting corporal Jones, I think it was the 'Fuzzy Wuzzies' - from his time serving in the Sudan against the Mahdi forces, known for their profuse hair styling.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
That makes more sense as I'm not sure whether Cpl Jones ever encountered a German in combat except possibly WW1?

Richard
The fictional character Jones did serve in WW1 according to the astoundingly extensive biographical details contained in the Wikipedia entry devoted to him that the question mark in your last post drove me to search for. However, the key to your quote is contained in the following:
In many episodes, Jones fondly recalls his participation in the Battle of Omduran in the Sudan, facing the "Fuzzy Wuzzies" under the command of General Kitchener. As an aged veteran, he is extremely fond of bayonet warfare ("the cold steel"), and usually meets any queries about this with the assertion that "they don't like it up 'em!", a phrase which writer Jimmy Perry remembered an old campaigner using, during his own service in the Home Guard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance-Corporal_Jones

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
What's to stop anybody pulling the dinghy back to shore when you are away and stealing it. We always tried to find somewhere we could padlock a long stainless chain to, a big tree for example. The chain ran from the handhold on the outboard through the handle of the petrol container so nobody could steal them, which can happen in the Caribbean and I suspect anywhere else.