Joining wires

G

I have a six cored cable which connects my mast head wind transducer. One the only occasion I have had a boat yard unstep our mast they decided to cut this cable. I now have to join the wires. The problem is that they cut it where it passes through some conduit so space is very limited. Can anyone suggest the best way to re-join these wires using as little space as possible?

RayJones

Visit site
I have used a connectors originaly scrounged from a friendly telephone technician, but have since found them at Dick Smiths ( an Australian hobby electronics store. ) The connector is a clear plastic enclosure about the size of a nitting needle head, with an inbuilt cutter and a supply of silicone sealant. The wires to be joined are inserted along side eachother into the connector, and the whole thing squeezed together with pliers. The cutter pierces the insulation, so effecting a join and the silicone is released around the inside to seal the whole thing. They are used to join the masses of telephone wires at junctions etc.
The end result is fantastic and extreemly waterproof.
I hope you can find a similar product.
regards Ray Jones.

owendo

Visit site
These sound fantastic i am in the middle of re wiring a 1947 "woody" any idea where they can be purchased in the UK

Mike Woodhouse
Vertue V17

andyball

Visit site
If you need a plug/socket....din type will work....not too weather resistant though.

ITT sell "sureseal" ones(better), including a cheaper "low cost" type, you may need a crimp tool to fit them though.

Without a plug....soldered or crimped joints, covered with glue filled h/s work well...stagger them to reduce the bulk, then cover the lot with more sleeve(or ins.tape if you must!)

www.beal.org.uk seem v.cheap for h/shrink etc etc. I've no connection with them, other than as a customer.

I'd be tempted to lengthen the cable, as above and then fit a bulkier weatherproof connector where there's more room, so that you don't have the same hassle next time.

G

Came across these myself recently, courtesy of the telephone tech. trade, where the lads apparently refer to them as 'jellies'. They are, in fact, telephone cable connectors (Tel-splice) and made by Tyco Electronics under the AMP brand. Both RS and Farnell should still be able to supply them.

Spec from the catalogue:
Working volts 50V max
Wire size 26-19 AWG (0.4-0.9 sq. mm)
Insulation dia 2.03 mm max

So, OK for small cables.

For an external plug/socket join that is (IP68) waterproof try the Bulgin Buccaneer range. They do a six pin version and they are apparently good enough to be trusted by RNLI.

Good luck,

Mike

G

I have a brand new cable for a Cetrek masthead sensor unit, never been used, as, when I had to but a replacement unit, I was sent a cable as well, which I don't need. You are very welcome to have the cable, just let me know and I will find out the cost of postage.

G

If its a simrad unit then you only have to join the black and red wire. The rest are spare.

Some slide over cable shoes and terminal strip will surfice until you drop the mast next and can get at it better.

G

If your yard cut your cable, in my book, the yard should fix it for you. The Bulgin "buccaneer" range of IP64 plugs and socket work well. They come in a range of different body fixings types including bulkhead mounting and free. They have screw terminals. Only trouble is their bulk.

Good luck

Cheers
John Dillon

G

Thanks for yr generous offer. The unit I have is a Stowe one so I will have to use one of the methods supplied in this thread.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
A word of caution

I noticed further down this thread that the unit you have is a Stowe. This probably won't apply you but years ago I help a friend install a Stowe wind transducer. There was a warning in the instruction manual not to cut the cable. We ignored this and used a deck plug at the join. The readings we got were never right and we learned afterwards this was due to the cable join.

G

Don't spose you know where I can get 'Conxall' Conectors do you?

G

Re: UK list:-

That was quick!
These are the ones used by Simrad, CMap, Siewa and some Koden units.
Self sealing due to rubber 'O'ring. it's a solder job though for 'in line' connections such as this discussion..

G

Re: A word of caution

Got alarmed after reading yr post so phoned AW Marine who repaired the mast head unit. This company is very helpful and has spare parts for fixing Stowe transducers. His comments were that in an ideal world you shouldn't cut the wire but with a mast head unit it is usually necessary. He says they use coated brass connectors presumably in some kind of box. He said avoid any cuts in the bilge (damp). He thought the best answer to my problem was to solder the wires together one by one and cover joints in self-amalagamating tape which was my first thought. I should point out to others reading this thread that my yard had used the jelly type connectors but two of these had failed. Maybe they did not crimp them up enough?

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Re: A word of caution

Sorry, didn't mean to alarm you.
I would personally solder the wires together , seal with shrink wrap, cover with a layer of self amalgamating waterproof tape and make sure the whole thing is is a dry place.