Jester Azores 2016

Pords

Visit site
Hi

Decided I want to take an adventurous step and enter the JC 2016 to the Azores. I completed my first solo cross channel to france last season, and plan on doing a lot more of the same this year. My boat is a 1972 van de stadt 8 meter offshore which has been extensively refitted from top to bottom.

What's your thought on this type of boat completing the challenge? Have to say when I got caught short mid channel in F7 she handled beautifully for a small boat and felt very safe.

Also any tips on preparations would be greatly received. I have been sailing solo for the last 3 years and have learned a lot of things the hard way having had no previous experience.

Have a couple of years to prepare and have squared it away with the misses which is a plus.

Regards

Jon

TimBennet

Visit site
The boat is fine.

Now continue to sail, sail, sail, sail, sail (including a 600+ mile non stop sail) . . . . and do any work this experience throws up by mid summer 2015.

Then sail, sail, sail, again to bed it in an do nothing more than servicing in the winter 15/16.

These trips are about sailing and the people who have the miles in, are the ones who do okay. No amount of fiddling with a boat compensates for experience.

Pye_End

Visit site
With sufficient preparation the boat will be fine.

Best to start with lists of things to add to turn a coastal cruiser into something a bit more, unless this has been done already. Then turn the list into a list of lists - mark items as essential to nice to do. Post your list here if you want. Aim to have the major items (eg self steering) done in plenty of time so that you can get used to it, and make sure it all works how it should. Make sure maintenance is also addressed on top of changes - nothing worse than getting all the mods done only to find your stern gland is leaking on the way to the start line!

Whereabouts are you? There are the odd meet that you might find useful, or if not you can always start one if you find others near you that intend to take part, or have done already.

Pords

Visit site
Thanks for prompt replies. Located in kent on the river medway.
Have a list of things to add over the next year or so as the funds become available. Wind pilot pacific light, new plotter with ais compatibility, had all the rigging renewed last year with new sailspar roller reeling and new genoa. Mainsail good order but might change for a more robust one nearer the time. New lifelines sheets halyards deck fittings. Re-engined, new electrics batteries, sea cocos, water tank, the list is endless. Just sent off my outerbearing housing to have the white metal bearing bored out and a nylon bush fitted for a cutlass bearing.

Obviously the list will grow but the important thing is to get some miles in..

Jon

billybiltong

Visit site
Hi Jon,
I too have just started with the Jesters and can only recommend the whole concept. I completed the mini Jester to Baltimore last year and I intend to do it again next year 2015 if it run again and then hopefully the Azores Challenge in 2016. The Jester dinner takes place in Ipswich on 1 Feb, it might be worth trying to attend the meet as everyone is very helpful and offer lots of advice. If you would like a chat please send me a private message and I will forward you my details. Regards Bob

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
The weak point is almost always the man...
To cross channel single handed is much more demanding than blue water sailing, hopefully.
Just try a 500 miles run to the Irish sea.
You don't need to take your decision BEFORE 2016.
Eric

jesterchallenger

Visit site
Hi Jon,
The van de Stadt Offshore 8m is a great boat, fast, seakindly and easily handled on your own, so a good choice there. If you're free on Saturday 1st Feb you might consider attending Roger Taylor's talk about his preparation of MingMing II at the Royal Corinthian Yacht Club at 1200hrs. Only a fiver which includes a light lunch. Probably the best value five quid you'll ever spend on prepping a boat, Roger's an absolute mine of sensible ideas and how to do great things on a tiny budget. This still give you plenty of time to get to Fox's Yacht Club where there will be a Jester Symposium at 1530hrs where some of us will be relating our own experiences of preparation for, and execution of, the Jester Challenge. All newcomers will be made especially welcome, so don't hesitate to come along and ask us lots of questions! Dinner at 1930hrs is available if you want (a snip at £15). Full details are elsewhere on this forum - you do have to book in advance. Failing that, we do have regular East Coast Jester meets and you would always be welcome to come and join in - again, details are on this forum as to when and where.
Hope that helps.

Pords

Visit site
Thanks guys for all the good advice and reassurance for a better word. Will try and attend the dinner and meeting up on the East Coast. Spoke to my boss this week and have been given the ok for extended leave. One less thing to worry about. What sort of timescales roughly there and back?. Estimating 2 months or there a bouts. Once again thanks it is appreciated.
Jon

Zubenali

Visit site
If you can't make Roger Taylor's talk on preparing Mingming II there is a fairly comprehensive series of videos he has posted on YouTube, a lot about changing to a junk rig, easier than I thought! I to am based on the Medway and looking to enter the Azores challenge. Have already been given the OK by my wife who intends to fly out to tha Azores and sail back with me. 3 weeks in a small boat with my wife? Hmmmm.

Pords

Visit site
If you can't make Roger Taylor's talk on preparing Mingming II there is a fairly comprehensive series of videos he has posted on YouTube, a lot about changing to a junk rig, easier than I thought! I to am based on the Medway and looking to enter the Azores challenge. Have already been given the OK by my wife who intends to fly out to tha Azores and sail back with me. 3 weeks in a small boat with my wife? Hmmmm.

Will take a look when I get in. Whereabouts on Medway

Pords

Visit site
Hi Guys

Was going to attend the dinner, but have been informed that I have a prior family engagement which I had forgotten about. Know where i'd rather be. Anyway I'm sure there will be plenty of other opportunities to meet up and discuss things. Already found this forum very useful for Jester preparations which have began in earnest.

Jon

DEYRA

Visit site
Bonjour,
I.m looking for experience of a captain who did the jester azores challenge in 2012
The informations of the jester site are quite basics
How suscribe to the 2016 edition?
And as you can read, my english is very basic
Thnak a lot British sailors
Jyd

rptb1

tammynorie.wordpress.com
If you can't make Roger Taylor's talk on preparing Mingming II there is a fairly comprehensive series of videos he has posted on YouTube, ...

His talk is on his channel right here, and everything on that channel is worth watching.

I'm also hoping to join in 2016 in a suitably prepped Newbridge Coromandel (with a suitably prepped skipper!)

Halberg

Visit site
Bon jour,

I'm new here, but because I would like to do something similar to Jon's plans, I decided to write a few words about my boat.

She's a 28 footer designed in 1963 by Olle Enderlein, type Indra, built in 1974. The boat is made of solid GRP, with sandwich deck, has the long keel and typical lines from those years. Moreover - she's transportable, because of weight suitable for three tons trailer and a boat width below 2.50 m.

An extensive modernization is necessary, e.g. instead of an old gas engine - I'm installing a diesel one, also - after forty years - fully new electrical, electronic, radio, bilge, gas, fresh water, heating and fuel systems.
Some details of hull equipements are to be revieved, repaired or simply replaced - e.g slide hatch, windows, cockpit lockers covers, Dorade boxes, kitchen and so on.

The standing and running rigging, including all the mast fitings and mast step are to be replaced. Mast base will be changed and to give the possibility to lower the spar without a harbour crane; new mast base is ready and waits to be installed.
Such a work cannot be done without corresponding changes in interior arrangemment, and in this chapter the most important job is strenghening of the main bulkhead and reinforcing of the beam supporting the mast.

But, afer all, I have the original Aries vane gear, made by Nick Franklin, signed "Aries, Cowes, England".
This wonderful machine is complete, and as all the Aries in perfect condition, but without a hinge on the pendulum shaft. Then it's impossible simply to raise the pendulum, when in a harbour. I'm looking for that part.

If all goes well - I think the boat will be ready for trials under sail in the autumn 2016.

Remarks and opinions on the project are very welcome.
I'm sailing solo on inland and in coastal waters, but recently, for different reasons, I have'nt time to sail, then every advice will be desired.

Best regards

Tom

Halberg

Visit site
Hello,

I was so impressed writing here, that an error occurred: I wrote wrong date of the boat trials - 2016.
Of course the proper date is next year - 2015.

Best regards

Tom