James Silver of Rosneath and John Bain designs.

Rosneath

Visit site
Just doing a bit of searching on a wet day and came across this forum. I am pleased to see there are still Silver cruisers out there. Does anyone have an idea how many are seaworthy ? My interest is because John Bain was my great uncle and I’m the last relative.

Rosneath

Visit site
Hi Hamish
I have been researching the history also worked in the yard and lived about a hundred yards from your great uncles bungalow lovely house my aunt was his housekeeper and her husband worked in the yard also my dad worked his way up to manager Have you got a copy of his book?. I have many photos of the boats he disigned not sure how many still around.if you want any copies or information let me know
Regards John Willis

jstarmarine

Visit site
View attachment 149779
[/QUOTE]
Does anyone know where I could get a copy of this book for my own research on James Silver boats, Is there any reference to my James Silver "Western Isles" in this book .

Regards
Simon Papendick
Owner of Chance

jstarmarine

Visit site
Does anyone know where I could get a copy of this book for my own research on James Silver boats, Is there any reference to my James Silver "Western Isles" in this book .

Regards
Simon Papendick
Owner of Chance

Your best bet is to contact McLaren Books for all things nautical.

Donald
[/QUOTE]
Thank you, got a copy on order, This will help me no end with how my James Silver should look like as I restore the boat
Regards
Simon Papendick

Reactions: Aja

JBane

Visit site
Just doing a bit of searching on a wet day and came across this forum. I am pleased to see there are still Silver cruisers out there. Does anyone have an idea how many are seaworthy ? My interest is because John Bain was my great uncle and I’m the last relative.
I am trying to track down some genealogical information on John Bain. My ancestors are Scots and most of them spelled their surname as “Bain” prior to emigrating to America. I came across the name of the yacht designer John Bain quite by accident while planning a trip to Scotland and since I have been working on family history seriously over the last 3-4 years, I was hoping to determine whether he might be a distant relative. Apart from a recent newspaper article in the Helensburg newspaper, I have had no luck at all finding any biographical information on John Bain. If you know and could share the dates and locations of John Bain’s birth and death, and the names of his parents, it would help me a lot. Also, if you know of any other source of detailed biographical on him, I would be deeply appreciative. My interest on Mr. Bain is primarily genealogical, as I said, but I am very interested in classic wooden boats as well, since the place where I live (Harkers Island, North Carolina) is one of the primary historical locations associated with wooden boat building on the US east coast, along with the Chesapeake Bay and the coast of Maine. If you have information on John Bain you’d be willing to share with me, I’d be happy to send you a private message via this forum. Thanks in advance.

jstarmarine

Visit site
This part of the cockpit furniture is out of place as it is made from marine plywood and not mahogany as the rest of the cockpit furniture is made from and is original.

When it comes time to refit the cockpit furniture this is going to be a part that is remade in the original design as the seat that should be where this seat front was originally made and fitted.

This piece of mahogany is the inboard side of the cockpit seat which the panel in the first photo is screwed too. It appears that the original panel may well have been broken at sometime in the past and a new panel was made from whatever they had to hand at the time.

The reserve side of the side panel shows the height of the seat and the size of the locker that was under the seat lid.

The two side panel to go either side of the aft companionway steps to blank off the engine bay from the aft companionway. Now a lot of varnishing to come over the next few months.

Does any of the other James Silver's of the same age as Chance have any photos of what the port seat in the cockpit and the design of the seat front that I could have so that I can put the correct designed front back in place when I rebuild the cockpit. Thank you if anyone can help me with this missing panel in the cockpit.

scandalpete

Visit site
Does any of the other James Silver's of the same age as Chance have any photos of what the port seat in the cockpit and the design of the seat front that I could have so that I can put the correct designed front back in place when I rebuild the cockpit. Thank you if anyone can help me with this missing panel in the cockpit.
The port seat arrangement on Bodilla (1955) is "L" shaped with the long side fore and aft. At each end there is a piece shaped exactly like the ones shown in your photos. The "long" side is cantilevered out so the floor panels over the port engine can be lifted. I don't have any pictures at present since the whole port side has been removed so that I can get at the wheelhouse side which needs replacing. If I can find any when it was first restored I'll post them.
Does anybody have any interest in restarting some form of Silver Register ? I have a burgee from the Silver Motor Yacht Association from when it was run by Chris Jardine in the 90's. Whether he is still around I'm not sure. He must have a lot of information. For example in the editorial for the Silver Motor Yacht No 3 Jan 1999 magazine he mentions that the association had 110 members and then lists the types of boats represented - including 2 Western Isles - but with no names unfortunately .
Peter

jstarmarine

Visit site
The port seat arrangement on Bodilla (1955) is "L" shaped with the long side fore and aft. At each end there is a piece shaped exactly like the ones shown in your photos. The "long" side is cantilevered out so the floor panels over the port engine can be lifted. I don't have any pictures at present since the whole port side has been removed so that I can get at the wheelhouse side which needs replacing. If I can find any when it was first restored I'll post them.
Does anybody have any interest in restarting some form of Silver Register ? I have a burgee from the Silver Motor Yacht Association from when it was run by Chris Jardine in the 90's. Whether he is still around I'm not sure. He must have a lot of information. For example in the editorial for the Silver Motor Yacht No 3 Jan 1999 magazine he mentions that the association had 110 members and then lists the types of boats represented - including 2 Western Isles - but with no names unfortunately .
Peter
Hi Peter,
Thank you for your speedy reply to my inquiry about the port side seat arrangement . I had wondered if that was the case with the lower part of the seat arrangement. As the piece of plywood appeared to be out of place with the rest of the furniture that the boat was constructed with and not to the same high standard you would have on a Silver. I saw that someone had put up the old silver owners association website. As you can see there are to "Western Isles", One pre Second World War and one post Second World War. Chance being the post Second World War "Western Isles" . However in the register the length is wrong, Chance is 40ft. not 37.5 ft. as stated. It would be good to know what as happened to "Jetta" and her she still is in commission. As you can see from my many blogs on Chance's restoration the task is a large one. However, as a wooden boat builder for the past 47 years it is not my first restoration project. However, it is likely to be my last as when Chance is finished I will be using her as a second home to go cruising.

jstarmarine

Visit site
Her design is different to the western isles, the western isles design was a 50/50 motor sailer not a motor yacht. Chance was able to be sailed.
Regards
Simon Papendick

Flora of Greenock

Visit site
To everyone who is interested in The Silver Yacht Dunedin/Flora of Greenock. I am now the proud owner and she is named: Flora , homeport in Hundested, Denmark. If anyone can supply me with knowledge about her past story, especially during the war, I will be most thankful.

Rosneath

Visit site
To everyone who is interested in The Silver Yacht Dunedin/Flora of Greenock. I am now the proud owner and she is named: Flora , homeport in Hundested, Denmark. If anyone can supply me with knowledge about her past story, especially during the war, I will be most thankful.
Hi I have some early photos of Dunedin can send them on if your want
Regards John ex silvers employee

jstarmarine

Visit site
Hi Fellow James Silver owners,

I am looking into seeing if Jetta the other "Western Isles" is still in existence and if so where she is now. Although, Chance and Jetta are different lengths Jetta being 47.6 Foot long and Chance is 40 foot long. They are on the James Silver register as both being a "Western Isles" design. If there any member out there can help with photos of Jetta it would be helpful to my restoration of Chance to see what parts of the two vessel share and which are different because of their different lengths. Also whether Jetta was Ketch rigged as Chance is. Any help would be gratefully received.
Regards
Simon
Restorer and Owner of Chance

DougieBay

Visit site
Hello.... my name s Doug Bay and I am looking for a James Silver yacht called "JUNE".
She was owned by my late father-in-law, William Menzies, and was moored at the ARDFERN MARINA
up in Argyll, Scotland.
He sold the yacht around 1983 - I know, a very long time ago, but my wife Fiona and I who visit the area
around Ardfern every year came across a photograph of the JUNE recently and would dearly love to know
whether she is still well and afloat.
Can any one of you Silver owners help me please?
I would be most grateful - just for my wife's and my old times sake.
Many thanks.

jstarmarine

Visit site
Hello.... my name s Doug Bay and I am looking for a James Silver yacht called "JUNE".
She was owned by my late father-in-law, William Menzies, and was moored at the ARDFERN MARINA
up in Argyll, Scotland.
He sold the yacht around 1983 - I know, a very long time ago, but my wife Fiona and I who visit the area
around Ardfern every year came across a photograph of the JUNE recently and would dearly love to know
Many thanks.
Hi Doug,
Could you send a picture of the photo so we can identify what class JUNE is.

regards
Simon Papendick

DougieBay

Visit site
Hi Simon,
I'll do my best - I'm a Luddite and not familiar with transposing a photograph to screen and thence onto the forum ...
in fact totally non-tech!! But I'll give it a go !!

For guidance, here are some details from Lloyds MY Register:
LR Identity: Y052102 ; Off No: 161021; Twin Screw Ketch ; Tonnage 10.39 ; Regd Net and Gross: 12.30 , 11.00.
Length 36.0 ft ; Breadth 9.1 ft ; Draft 3.5 ft. Builders/Designers : James Silver / John Bain. Year built : 1936 Rosneath
Engines : 2 oil engines, each 4 cyl, 31/46 BHP - Parsons '63.

I will attempt to send you a photograph on the forum, but do please give me time!!
Kind Regards
Doug

Rosneath

Visit site
up in Argyll, Scotland.
Many thanks.
Hi only info I have is before your father in law purchased June. It be some interest to youIMG_0293.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0292.png
    IMG_0292.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 4

DougieBay

Visit site
Thank you ...
Bill Menzies, my father-in-law bought the JUNE c. 1974 and had it moored up at the
Ardfern Marina until he sold it some 7 years later. He and his wife and family sailed the June
around the Scottish Western Isles for those 7 years, before he sold her,, just before his passing.
She was last sighted in the Ardfern area on or about 2002 ... but not a word on her since!
We'd just like to know her whereabouts and that she is still afloat and being enjoyed by her owners!